Chapter 20

I don't know how it happened really. I guess it just did. I don't think I expected to end up actually having sex with Michael, especially because I spent the previous night trying to squash all rumours involving him and other body parts. But now... now it's not a rumour.

"Morning," He rolls over, one arm behind his head, the blanket resting just below his chest.

I smile at him. I don't know what to think of this now. This is going to ruin our friendship. I push the thought out of the back of my mind and focus on right now.

"Hey, what's the time?" I ask him, flipping over to look at the clock on the nightstand.

11:00?!

Shit! Why am I always late to meet Rhonda?! But really, she asks me to meet her at 10:00 on a Saturday morning? That's unrealistic for me.

"Oh, God," I hold the blanket around my chest, not caring that Michael is completely uncovered as I pull it off the bed.

"Where are my clothes?!" I grab all the pieces of my outfit that I can find, and I put them on in a frenzy.

"What's going on?" He asks, holding a pillow over himself while he rummages through his drawers for a pair of boxers.

"I need to go," I say, glancing over at the clock again, "Like right now."

"Where?"

"Rhonda's!"

"Let me drive you," He says, pulling on a pair of pants and picking up his sweater off the ground.

"No!" I say a little too quickly. I can't have him drop me off. I spent all this time denying the rumours, I can't have him them know that I spent the night with him, "I mean, no," I say, softly, "Look, Michael, this... this isn't going to work."

"Um... yeah... I was thinking that, too," He says. Why did I have to do this?! Now everything's gonna be messed up between us, "I guess it just kind of... occurred."

"Um... is your aunt and uncle here?" I ask, praying that they went to run some errands or something.

"Lucky for us, they have work from nine A.M. to ten P.M. everyday."

THANK YOU, GOD.

I don't even ask where they work. I just need to go.

"How are you going to get there?" He asks, confused.

"Mmm," I turn around and look out the window. The T-Birds' bikes at still at Johnny's... maybe I could ask one of them to - What am I thinking? I'd rather walk than even make eye contact with Louis, "Okay, I guess I do need a ride..."

"And I've got the keys," He smiles, and we head out to the car.

After the most quiet and awkward car ride I've ever been in, I finally reach Rhonda's house.

"Um... see ya!" I say to Michael who then waves and drives away. At least he didn't linger.

I barely get to the porch steps when Rhonda comes running out and almost tackles me in a hug.

"Geez," I mumble, squished in her grip, "What's up with you?"

"What's up with me?" Rhonda holds me back at arms length, "What's up with YOU?!"

"What do you mean?"

"You disappeared last night! We looked everywhere for you!" She exclaims, grabbing my hand and pulling me inside.

"Hey, Mrs. Ritter," I greet Rhonda's mom as Rhonda drags me up the stairs.

"Hello, Chloe," Mrs. Ritter smiles at me, "How are you?"

"Oh, you know," I say, almost at the top of the staircase, "I'm good, getting dragged up some stairs, thanks."

Rhonda uses all her force and shoves me into her bedroom, slamming the door.

"So what the hell happened?"

"Well... we were bowling and you guys wouldn't shut up about Michael, and then Louis-"

"I know THAT happened! I mean," She plops onto her bed, "Where'd you go?!"

"Uh..." I say. I might as well tell her, "Michael's?"

"WHAT?! Did you guys do it again!?"

"We didn't do it in the first place!" I exclaim, "I tried to tell you guys, but noooo, you just wouldn't let me talk!"

"Well, if you didn't do it in the back of his car, then what'd you do during lunch?"

"Ate?"

"Not even a sneaky little handjob?"

"Nope."

"What about last night, then?"

"Good question, Rhonda... That's a good question..." I give her a sheepish grin.

"Oh my God. Did you... like really this time?"

"Yeah..."

"Oh my GOD!" She screeches, "How?!"

"I think you know how."

"No, don't be smart, you know what I mean!"

"I guess we were talking... and going through his closet... and I may or may not have had him take his shirt off-"

"So, you came to him with a mission?"

"What are you talking about?"

"All the talk from us about sleeping with him! You decided that you were going to get that fine piece of boy before you lost your chance!"

"No! I had him take his shirt off to show him that he could get Steph! But he looked so good... and I got distracted from the real purpose... and we kissed... and then... other things."

She stays silent for a moment. I hope she's not judging me or anything. But why would she?

"Was he any good?"

"Rhonda!"

"Was he?"

"I'm not answering this quest-"

"He was, wasn't he?" She raises her eyebrows.

"Yes! Fine! You happy now?"

"Yep!" She laughs, "The girls should be here any minute now. They're an hour and a half late! That's later than you normally are."

"Excuse me, I am a busy girl."

"Yeah, busy with Michael."

"Shut up."