n i n e

I take my time making my way back towards Regina and Sarah. Now that I know the truth about Regina, I feel slightly uneasy. She knows things that I don't, and can easily use that to her advantage.

Sarah looks up at the sound of my feet pushing through the grass, but doesn't smile at me. She looks a bit sad, as if someone stole her puppy.

Regina, on the other hand, has turned to filing her nails with a metal file. The urge to grab it and stab her in the eye with it is almost too good to suppress.

"Hey guys," I breathe as I take a spot next to Sarah. Regina waves at me without looking up from her nails. Sarah busies herself with tugging blades of grass out of the ground and piling them up next to her bag. The dew from this morning causes the individual blades to sparkle in the midday sunlight.

I sigh and look around the quad for a saving grace. I can't be around these girls right now. They are driving me up the wall.

A flash of movement is picked up by my peripheral vision. When I look over, I see it's Sarah gathering her things and picking up her bag. She wipes at her butt while standing up.

"I'm going to the bathroom," she says in a small voice. I nod and watch as she walks away.

"So now that she's gone," My head snaps at the sound of Regina's voice. She slowly places her nail file onto her bag, maintaining eye contact with me the whole time.

A devilish expression forms on her face. Now that I think about it, she takes a close resemblance to the Grinch.

"You're probably wondering why I'm here, right?" I stare back at her

"You're probably wondering why I'm here, right?" I stare back at her. If I show any indication that I know something, my cover is blown.

Regina rolls her eyes at my lack of a response. "Don't play dumb with me. I know Zayn told you everything about me jumping universes with you guys. But I'm not here for you. Your arrival just came as a bonus. But I do have a question for you."

I remain silent. Why did Zayn tell me to keep quiet? Regina knows exactly how to trick someone into admitting something, and she's laying down all of her cards now.

"Why were you late to meet up with us today?" She raises an eyebrow. I clear my throat, a suitable explanation surfacing.

"I felt the need to apologize to Harry after you treated him so poorly this morning," I say in a shaky voice. Regina nods slowly. "And did you, by any chance, speak to my brother as well?"

I widen my eyes. "I don't know who your brother is. Sorry."

She narrows her eyes at me. "That's bullshit and you know it."