t w e n t y | o n e

Shameless Self Promo*

Please, please please check out my upcoming book, Miss Leading [Louis Tomlinson AU]

Thanks!

Also, THANKS FOR GETTING ME TO 2K READS! I LOVE YOU ALL!

----
"Is this good?" I look up from the grocery shelf in front of me and at Harry. He has a bag of white bread in one hand, and strawberry jam in the other.

I nod. "Yeah, but get a different brand of strawberry jam. I don't like that one. It gives me gas." Harry crinkles his nose and throws the bread at me, which I thankfully catch. All my past years of being forced to play little league softball finally seem to be paying off. He disappears around the corner in search for a different brand.

Shortly after Harry and I left the ice cream shop, we walked through the streets in a daze, not exactly sure of what we should do. As we were navigating down the sidewalks, Harry's hand occasionally brushed against mine. The temptation to grab his hand and force it around mine glowered above my head throughout our walk.

After some time of brainstorming, we finally decided on having a peaceful picnic in the park. We could eat sandwiches and 'gossip like girls at a sleepover' as Harry put it. The kiss in the ice cream shop has been on repeat in my mind for the past hour, and I struggle to calm my fast pacing heart whenever I remind myself of it.

Once I find a cheap blanket and picnic basket, I meet up with Harry at a checkout line. He smiles at me, and I smile back. My happiness seems to come and go these days. Especially with all of the bad news I've received and the weird s.hit that has happened to me.

The dream I had last night surfaces for a second, and I quickly push it away. Now isn't the time to focus on my f.ucked up mind. Sure, I have a lot of things to figure out, but can't they wait until after I enjoy the date of my dreams?

Harry's gaze wanders over to tabloids resting in a magazine rack before looking back at me. His stare somewhat intimidates me, the green of his eyes peeking out through his curly brown hair. Every time I look into his eyes, I'm reminded of the other version of him. The one who abuses drugs and alcohol, and is mean to everyone. Including me.

I clear my throat to fill the silence, the rhythmic beep of the price scanner barely audible.

"What?"

He shakes his head and smirks. "Nothing. You're just so, so -"

"Next in line!" A voice crows. Harry and I advance forward and meet the icy glare of an old woman standing behind the counter. Her stringy gray hair is pulled back into a bun, leaving her miserable face expression out on display.

Harry hesitantly takes our things out of the plastic shopping basket in his hand and places them on the conveyor belt. As she scans our things, I nearly miss her utter the word "Disgusting." underneath her breath.

I narrow my eyes. "Excuse me?" The old lady looks up at me, pausing her price scanning. "You heard me. The two of you -" she raises up a saggy arm to point between me and Harry, the skin on her arm and face flapping around as she makes the simplest gestures.

"Are disgusting. I hate romance, especially young romance. It never lasts!" She rants. Harry looks down at me, a bemused expression on his face. He's actually enjoying this.