f o u r t e e n

Text Message To: Zayn

Hey, I have a question. Does the name Ivy Glaros ring a bell to you at all? I think she plays an important role.

"Christina! Hey!" I look up from my cellphone to see Mia advancing towards me, a huge grin on her face. I smile back, and am happy to realize that this is the first time in a while that I've been able to genuinely smile at someone.

"Hi Mia. What's up?" She shrugs and adjusts the bag strap on her shoulder, before stepping out of the way so someone can pass by. The hallways are flooded with a strenuous loop of chatter, and much of the conversations are composed of weekend plans.

We make our way down the hall until I stop in front of my locker, and I bend down to turn the combination lock. She leans against the lockers next to mine, and I can feel her breath fanning on my neck as she speaks.

"Nothing, really. My schedule is pretty empty except for the party tonight. But I have a great idea if you're up for it." The door to my locker creaks as I open it, and I pick up the books I need and deposit them into my bag before shutting the locker back.

Once I lock it, I look up at Mia and place my now heavy book bag back on my shoulder. "I'm all ears." She grins. "Want to go shopping?"

----

"What about this?" Mia's face twists into disgust at the sight of the blouse I picked out. It is white with a pink floral pattern, and it's absolutely hideous.

"Hell no. Unless you want to match your grandmother's couch." She pushes clothing around on the rack before picking out a maroon colored crop top. "What about this shirt? I think it'd look cute on you."

I shake my head and widen my eyes. "There's no way in hell I'm spending my money on half a shirt. I'm pretty sure that costs more than the couch shirt." She shrugs and places it back on the rack.

My phone rings in my back pocket, and I check to see that it's a call from Zayn.

"I have to take this, but I'll be back in a few." Mia nods, and I waste no time tapping answer as I walk out of the store. The mall scene before me is crowded with people, and I find myself walking towards the food court before getting comfortable at a small table.

"So what do you know?" I say. I intently study my nail beds as I wait for him to answer. Maybe I should get a manicure.

"Honestly Christina, not much. But I think - oh my God." My body goes rigid at the sound of his panic. "What is it Zayn? Hello?"

"Christina - Christina I'll call you back," he stammers.

"Wait no -" click. I groan and slide my cellphone onto the table. Leaving me in the dark is the last thing a person wants to do unless they want to get their weave snatched.

The sound of chair legs scraping against linoleum grabs my attention, and I look up to see Harry sitting two tables away from me. I smile at the sight of him, but my smile soon becomes a scowl when I see a familiar blonde sit down across from him.

Fucking Ivy.

----

"Where the hell did you go? I tried your cell but it kept going straight to voicemail." I don't say anything, and Mia dismissively waves her hand.

"It's whatever. Anyway, I want you to try this stuff on and see what you think." A pile of clothes is delivered into my hands, and I nearly fall over from the impending weight.

Silk fabric gets caught in my mouth, and I hurriedly spit it out. Gross. "Mia, I don't think I can afford even half of this pile." Mia reaches out to take a portion of the clothing, which I gladly give up. "Oh please, Christina. Don't worry about prices right now. Just go try on the clothes in your arms, and I want to see you in every single thing."