Chapter One

Chapter 1

It started on a normal day out with my friends. Paula, Gemma and I had went to the cinema in Edinburgh which was newly refurbished. I was sent inside to check the time for our movie while Paula and Gemma waited outside and I didn't think twice about going inside. Once inside the place took my breath away, with the enormous flat screen tv on the glass walls, an enormous eating area and children sitting eating. There was a man dressed in Victorian styled clothes... I thought at the time it must be an advertisement for a new movie, I moved along to the counter and asked when our movie started.

"Oh , we don't play movies here."

I gave the man behind the counter a strange look and slowly walked away to explain to my friends. When I reached the glass doors I could hear sniggering behind me, I grabbed the door handle but it refused to open. I pulled and pulled but it wouldn't budge, that was when I heard an automatic voice,

"Please say the password to leave."

Gemma and Paula's faces were creased in confusion and so was mine as I turned around, to the laughing people behind me.

"What's the password then?"

I asked but everyone just shrugged and some murmured no one knows, I started to panic. The man in the Victorian clothes, the worker behind the counter....

"Get the police!" I yelled through the glass to Gemma.  

"They've trapped me in here, get the police!"

In an instant Gemma took her phone out her pocket and dialed 999, Paula thumped on the glass and went to open the door, I screamed at her not to and she let it go. The police arrived and they shot at the glass, hit it with sledge hammers and it wouldn't smash. They were too scared to send men inside....

"Please! " I begged at the surrounding people, but no one moved to help me. I started to cry, this couldn't be happening.

They gave up after a couple of hours, they dragged my friends away and they swore they would come back,

"We're not leaving you here. The police are going to tell your family and I'll let Jamie know."  

I thanked them, having to shout to be heard through the glass and they walked off into the police car, leaving me alone and friendless. 

I cried and screamed......

A girl, older than me took me under her wing until he came. Marcus walked down the stairs at the side of the foyer and walked straight towards me. He sat down beside me with a bottle of wine in his hands, smirking at me. I wanted to rip his throat out, tear him apart limb by limb, but something told me I might need him later on.

"So, you're what all the commotion is all about."

His voice was stern and mean, heartless.

"What do you gain from this? Trapping us here? That man looks like he knew Queen Victoria for Christ's sake!"

He smirked at me again, shaking the wine about in his glass. He didn't reply, but only laughed and walked away, leaving me without an answer to my question. The girl, who's name was Eliza looked at me like I was an alien. Looking at my clothes, my shoes and the way I wore my hair. When day turned to night and my tears eventually dried up, I asked her where I would sleep.

"On the floor, or the cinema seats. Take your pick."

"Where do you sleep?" I asked.

"Cinema room 5. Come along if you want, no one else sleeps there, they say its haunted but we're the only ghosts here."

I could trace the sarcasm in her voice but I wasn't so sure. Some of the people here looked old enough to have been my great grandparents by the style of their clothes. She leads me through what would appear to be normal cinema rooms and enters the cinema room marked number five. She opens the door and walks inside so I follow. It looks just like a cinema room but with blankets scattered over the chairs and the lights dimmed.

Eliza picked a random set of chairs, lay down and pulled the blanket over her. Unsure whenever or not to go near her, I chose the row in front of her, lay down and thought about how quickly things could change.... My family will have been told by now, how will they react? My younger sister Jenn will cry surely, my dad will comfort her and my mum but I have no idea how my nana and papa will react. Or my other classmates once they have been told. Though I doubt many of them care, the majority of my classmates just bitch about you behind your back, but surely my friends will care.

I stared up at the empty cinema screen wondering how Marcus and his comrades can pull this off, surely they will notice people disappearing. That's when I realise... Last night on the news, it said a group of teenage boys and girls disappeared last week in Edinburgh and no one has any trace of them.

What if they are in here?  

I picture their faces from the television screen, and I know if I saw them I would recognise them without a doubt.

I don't notice myself fall into a deep dreamless sleep.... I wake in the morning refreshed but broken hearted....Jamie...

I've been with Jamie for six months now and I feel a pang come from my heart, it hurts. Does he know yet? Will Gemma have told him yet? How will he react?

Just remembering our last kiss.. How my arms were wrapped round his neck while his hands were on my waist, slowly his lips running over mine, making me forget to breath....eyes closed, our body's pressed tightly together.

I try to push the thought away from my mind so it can't hurt me, I don't need to lose myself now. I need to stay strong. I have no hope of leaving this place but somehow I know I won't give up. I need to get home. No matter what it takes.

I look around the cinema room and see Eliza still sleeping, breathing heavily, did she have a family? Friends? A lover maybe? She is pretty, she could probably get any boy she wanted.

I leave her be, not daring to wake her. She's only helping me so I don't fade away but she's nice enough.

I decide to walk around and leave my chair and walk to the foyer. Where I see some have made their beds in the eating area or simply on the floor. Aren't they freezing? The cinema room had a warm moisture in the air, here next to the glass windows its chilly.

I walk into the back area of the foyer where there is a games arcade, on the chairs men and woman who look like they've came from the Edwardian times sleep, although one young woman is awake and presses her finger to her lips. Telling me to be quiet, I nod my head and carry on walking.

That's when I decide I'm not staying here against my will, I am getting out. I run up to the tv on the wall and decide in the morning I'll spend all day trying to guess the password.