Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I move my noodles around in the bowl with my spoon, occasionally eating a noodle and then returning to stirring. Eliza has a frown on her face, watching me play my game of stirring noodles. I have no appetite although I feel starving inside. When I discovered the showers this morning they were cold and now my hair stinks of apple shampoo. I hate apple shampoo.

My feet are numb and my heart aches, my brain is switched off and when Eliza says something to me, my mind doesn't understand it. I'm out of focus and I feel like a walking zombie, listening and watching but never taking it in.

Children walk by, I hear the name Marcus being spoken, then my name followed by stares at me. I ignore them and return to stirring my noodles when something Eliza says brings me back to reality.

"Rumor has it that he likes you."

I stop stirring my noodles to look up at Eliza and ask,

"Who?"

"Marcus. Apparently he's had enough of Madame Ariane and is looking for 'fresh blood' and your name has popped up a few times."

The look on my face must be revolting because that's how I feel inside, revolted by the idea that he would like me, that I would even let him like me!

I push my chair in and tell Eliza I need the toilet but I just head back to cinema room 5, she comes in ten minutes later.

"This is your chance! Don't take the huff!" She yells at me.

I look up at her, in shock and surprise.

"What the hell are you talking about?"

She gives me a look that means I'm stupid.

"I'm talking about Marcus hitting on you! You could get out of here maybe even get all of us out! You play along to his little game and get the password!"

Realisation hits me, I could do it. Meet Marcus properly and make him fall for me and then get home. I could get everybody out, some wouldn't have a life to go back to but they could die. Although I suppose its like Hershel said to me,

"If I could get out of here, if I did die, it would be like going to sleep after a very long day. I would finally be resting in peace with those I love the most."

I could save them all....

"How?"

Eliza smiles.

"Marcus has his own apparent above the shower rooms, all you have to do is wait till he comes out on the Wednesday to go for his shopping, grab him when he comes back and throw yourself on a plate to him. It would take a while, but you could do it and I'll be here beside you every step of the way!"

A grin takes over my face, realising for the first time I might make it home. I could go back to Jamie.....

Anther thought hits me and this takes the smile right off my face, if Jamie found out could he forgive me? That I would cheat to make it home, to him?

"But, Jamie....."

Eliza looks at me,

"If he really loves you, he'll understand why you had to do it. Many a girl would kill for Marcus, he's your key to freedom."

I nodded, I just didn't want to hurt Jamie....

But would it hurt him more, if he was never to see me again?