Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I stare down at his hands, noticing he still has the wedding ring on, when I lift my eyes back up, to see his face, his eyes are staring at my hands. Noticing, that unlike him, I'm not wearing the ring.

For a moment, his gaze meets mine, and he trays to mouth something to me. I look away, in an instant and Eliza notices. She shakes her head, and sticks the finger up at Marcus. I'm not even sure, I've heard her swear before, never mind sticking up the middle finger.

The court room, once again falls silent. The ushering stops, and everyone stands as the judge enters. I still find their, white curly wigs amusing. He raises his right hand, and everyone sits down, so I do as they do. He says something, about the rights of the accused, and how this may be used as defense, etc.

He charges Marcus, with,

" Kidnapping, forceful marriage and sex slavery against a woman."

I look at Eliza, I certainly didn't convict him of that. She mouths to me,

" Madame Ariane. Everyone knew."

I nod, and return my attention to the judge.

The court, goes on for what feels like forever. Everyone here has said their piece, including me. I had to describe my experience, and how the marriage had been fake, and my Uncle was the minister. The judge, doesn't seem to believe any of us, when we say the people turned to ash, that they simply died.

" How did you keep people alive, for so long?"

The judge, asks Marcus. He shrugs, and refuses to say.

" You can also be charged with preventing the course of justice!"

The judge's booming voice, gives me a wake up call. I pay more attention, from there forward, hanging onto every word said, by everyone. By, what the judge says as, nearing the end of the allotted time, he asks one again, how Marcus did it, and why.

" I have the right to remain silent, remember?"

His response takes everyone by surprise, even me. After, this sentence he glares at me. As if its my fault, for what he did. I avoid eye contact, and stare at my shoes. Guards come and escort Marcus, out of the room, and the judge says the trial will continue, in two days.

" Hopefully, he might be a little more, helpful."

Then, he walks off.

The second, I leave the court building, cameras are once again in my face. I just quickly run into the car, hear my Dad slam his door shut, and the cars speeding down the road.

Mum, wasnt overly happy when we told her about Marcus's reaction, in the court. And, when my dad mentioned that he still had the ring on, put it this way. I wouldn't let Marcus near my mum, right now, no matter how much I hate him. That's a fate worse than death.

I just headed straight upstairs to my room, where I started reading. My phone buzzed, and I didn't recognize the number. I opened up the message, but it was blank. I just deleted the text, but as soon as I had put my phone down, it buzzed again. This, time the message wasnt blank.

" Where's your ring?"

I didn't think, I ran down the stairs, to the kitchen, where my parents were talking.

" What's wrong?"

My mum asked, I handed her the phone, she didn't ask who the number belonged to, you didn't have to be a genius to guess. It's Marcus.

" Block his number, but keep the text. You can show the court that, he's not meant to have any contact with you."

I do as she says, and keep the text in my inbox. I turned my phone off, I defiantly didn't want anymore texts from him tonight.