Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I'm having to take at least two weeks off school for the court case, Shannon said she would drop off some work from school for me to do. I'm glad she did, otherwise i would be falling behind in pretty, much all my classes.

The night before court, Mum went through everything I should do. Stand straight, blouse tucked in, speak when spoken to, don't interupt etc.

I hate it when Mum's do this thing, you only want them to explain the need to know basis, but they go so into depth, your bored out of your skull, and sleeping seems like a great option. Then, when you tell them " I understand " , they say you don't and there's is much more of learn, for goodness sake I know!

I'm dying of boredom, when my Dad butts in,

" I think she gets the picture Jacqueline."

Thank you Dad!

I smile, happy to be free of the boredom, and my Mum gives my Dad a glaring look. Jenn bursts out into a fit of giggles, and its hilarious, watching how mad Mum is, within the next hour they'll be hugging and kissing as usual. And, as usual Jenn will be sitting next to them, making sick noises, and covering her eyes so she doesn't have to see the 'horrid ness.'

I didn't sleep much that night, if any. I remember trying to doze off, counting sheep, then miscounting over and over, making it harder to sleep. I went on my tablet, which passes some time, but I couldn't really focus on the apps I was playing, and it was too late, to message Jamie.

I tried for a while to read, but my mind was focused on something else.

I eventually feel into a deep dreamless sleep, I was awoken in the morning, by the alarm on my phone, ringing. The song repeated itself again, making it even harder to ignore it, and try to sleep.

I pressed the stop button, and was desperate to fall back into my warm, soft bed, when my Mum comes through with, a black dress that goes to my thigh, black tights, and black shoes. The outfit takes me by surprise, its the exact outfit I wore to my Grandpa's funeral. I take it anyway, its a smart outfit, so I can't complain.

I go for a quick shower, washing all over, then once out, adding my moisturizer, straightening my hair, and I set quietly for a half hour or so reading. When, I look up Dad is chatting with two men, I guess they're my escorts. I hear odd prices of information, such as,

" He might just say why, they were trapped."

And, what keeps on getting repeated is,

" The marriage isn't legal."

That gets me going again, every time the marriage is mentioned, all I can think about is the hurt on Marcus's face that night. Was that face true? He could have just been pulling it on, to make me feel bad. Or perhaps it was his realization that my parents aren't millionaires.

I lace up my shoes, and pull a light jacket over myself. I have no idea what to expect today, so I'm not getting my hopes up that'll it will be easy. Its been on there news and in the papers, I don't want to be stalked by journalists, but I guess the world will want to know. How did he keep everyone young? How did they survive inside the cinema?

I want to know aswell, it baffles me. How did he pull it off? 

I'm not the only one, who deserves an answer. Half of Eliza's life has been spent in that place, and all those people, that turned to ashes, they had a right to know. Madame Ariane, had the right to know....

What if she's mentioned in court? Shat if they find out, I had a part in her death? I start to hyperventilate again, once inside the car. My Dad calms me down, he's wearing one of his posh suit and tie outfits.

The car drive to the court, only takes over half an hour. Within that time, so many thoughts pass through my mind, its impossible to think straight.

I arrive at the court, and instantly cameras are flashing in my face, microphones pressing for questions, I just run straight into the court, making no attempt to cover my face.

I wait in the foyae, for my Dad, who enters moments later. An elderly woman, shows us to the room, where the trial will start, and she shows me to a row of seats, where I sit, next to my Dad, Eliza, and two little kids.

Eliza is looking worse for wear, im still finding it hard to recognize her, she's the same Eliza, but older. A different person to me, now. The two children, I can vaguely remember. They used to run around the cinema, playing with other children. The children that turned into ash, and were blown away by the wind.

More people than this, made it out alive. I guess, they have a different date, to come. Everyone wants to hear, my side of the story, seen as I was the one that got married. People are still debating whenever it was legal or not, which there shouldn't be any debate about.

I watch the jury, eyeing everyone sceptically. I look in the other direction, when the entire court room falls silent.

Marcus, enters and sits next to the judge's podium, right across the room from me....