Chapter 9

~Kiera's POV~
I was supposed to be screaming for my life. But I wasn't. Maybe it was because curiosity got the best of me. Backtracking, when Cass got the book, I felt hopeless. But right after she got it, I felt a burning pain at the back of my neck. I traced the burn, and it was in the shape of a number 3. No idea what that was about, but then I saw her and Caesar arguing. Their auras were both very powerful, and they seemed to collide with each other's auras, pushing them both backwards each time.

The thing was, I was curious about what they were saying, which is the main reason why I wasn't screaming. I couldn't hear a THING, but judging from Cass's unbearable scream of defeat and Caesar's annoying "I-won-and-I'm-rubbing-it-in-your-face" smirk, I knew they understood each other very well. Were they using a different language? Were they making peculiar sounds signifying means of communication? No. I just couldn't hear them. I could only make out words like "No" and "I'm" from the shapes their lips were making.

I never knew Caesar could be that fast and powerful. He just SWOOPED down, grabbing the book right out of Cass's bare hands. And this was the first time I saw Cass screaming, and outraged. Before Caesar vanished with the book in his possession, I could just make out a few words from their conversation: "Who are you?" Cass had said.
"Me?" Caesar had said with a smirk,"I'm the son of the Ciphers."
Then he vanished. Who does that? It wasn't normal, for one. People don't just go vanishing in waves of pure light, saying they're the son of some crummy bloodline! Well, I guess my world just got a ton weirder. This can't get any weirder, I thought.

I was DEAD wrong. I saw Cass crumple to the floor, crying like a newborn baby. What was I gonna do next? Comfort her? I can't go comforting people who threaten to KILL me just for some nonsense creepy book! I just observed. This could just be one of her plans. And I was gonna be there to foil them.

"H-hey.." I said, tying my hair up in a bun,"A-are you okay?"
"No!" She wailed,"I failed. Again."
"You managed to scare me, though. You didn't fail in THAT."

Cass smiled."I--Stay away from me!!" Her smile melted into a ferocious sneer, and she vanished, just like the way Caesar had vanished. Seriously, what's up with all this vanishing? I could use that trick to disappear from one of my enemies' boring rambles..

I looked around me. Throughout the whole fight and havoc, some sections of the ampitheater were broken. I only noticed the dust and debris now. I slowly made my way out of the ampitheater, marking another.. no, my first day and probably one of many, weird days. The hallways were empty, which was weird because it was in the middle of the morning, the busiest time of the day. Sirens of ambulances and police cars wailed outside, and I knew I was in for thousands of questions once I came out, without a single scratch on me.

I decided to take the back door, the one all students barely used to avoid the press and the crowd. Sadly, they were all there. At first there was noise, but the moment I slightly opened the door, there was silence.

"Wh-who's there?" Our principal asked. I decided to just use the front door without fully opening the door, to avoid confusion and doubt.
"COME OUT! YOU'RE SURROUNDED!" The police officer barked.
I wasn't the criminal! They very much should know who the criminal was!
I stepped outside, holding my hands up."I am not guilty." I calmly said.
"Oh, it's just you.." The principal muttered.
That snapped me back to life."Just? JUST ME? I am probably the most special person you will EVER meet!" I jabbed a finger at one of my worst enemies, McKaylie."SHE is fit for that 'JUST' term you speak of! NOT me!"

I stuck my nose high up in the air. Oh no. I never did that. Was this a virus of Cass's arrogance, slowly seeping into my insides? No, I thought, She can't be THAT powerful. But I thought about it again. Maybe she was. But whatever was happening, it wasn't normal.

I walked back home, with the school sending all the students an excuse letter saying they wouldn't be able to go to school for the next three months after "a strange event" that the police and all the others are still investigating. In the newspapers and on television, it only mentioned something about a gas explosion, or a probability that it could've been caused by a chemistry experiment in the lab gone wrong. No reports of strange people with scary glowing eyes and hands, talking about something about Ciphers or something. No accuse on Cass, or on Caesar.

I realized I forgot something back at school, and luckily I was only about 12 steps away from it. I tore through my locker, getting all my books and my stuff, just like all the other students had done awhile ago. At the bottom of the locker, there was a note, written in perfect calligraphy on a white piece of paper. It read:

You have something that helped start this war. You cost me half of my own power. Now I'm warning you again. Stick with me, and you won't get killed. Try to be the hero, and you will
never see the light of day ever again. Now I get to my point. I will come see you. In about, oh, I don't know; right after you're done tearing through your stuff? Pray you don't annoy me enough for me to kill you.

You know who I am, don't you?