2| Brandon

Sitting in my parked car, I stared at my place of work anticipating my first day back in 3 months. I had a lot of mixed feelings about going back, but I hated not being productive too.

"Showtime..." I mumbled as I opened my car door to get out.

I placed my badge on my waistband and put my pistol in the holder before walking inside of the building.

"Wallace, you're back off leave. How's it hanging, buddy?"

I acknowledged the desk sergeant with a simple headnod and signed in before heading upstairs.

As I approached my desk, I noticed that unfamiliar man was seated at Erin's old desk. I instantly caught an attitude because anyone who had a brain knew not to come near there.

"Wallace, my office." I put my things down on my desk and quickly followed the captain over to his office.

I was expecting him to talk my head off, but it looked like he was trying to figure out what to say. "How was your vacation?"

"Too long."

The capatain cackled and shooked his head. "I imagine you visited your sister and her family...am I right?"

"Nah, I'm the last person my sister wants to see...ever." Captain Frazier frowned.

"Cap't, who's this kid at Erin's desk?" I asked, quickly changing the subject before he gave me another one of his lectures about family and its importance.

"Reed. Jared Reed, he's your new part--"

"I don't need a new partner. As a matter of fact, I don't need a partner at all to do my job."

"Brandon, it doesn't work like that." Captain Frazier shook his head and went behind his desk to pull out a file that was empty.

"What's that? New case..."

"No, this your file." I furrowed my brows in confusion. "In the 3 months you were off, you've yet to go get evaluated. You know what that means, right?"

I groaned and shook my head. "I don't see the point. I'm alive, I'm here, I'm not crying in a corner. So, my medical opinion is that I'm fine."

"Brandon, you experienced one of the scariest things ever as a officer and you expect to believe that 3 months later you're mentally okay."

"Duh," I said with a nod.

"Wrong. Plus, I cannot put you back on the job until you get evaluated. So, come after that..."

"Come on, Cap't. I'm the best detective in the district, you need me. I'll go see the shrink after this shift...I promise."

The captain laughed. "You said the same thing 3 months ago and guess where we are."

"How many sessions?"

"3 months worth."

I smacked my teeth in disbelief. "What? That's crazy. How about I go get evaluated and come to work simaneuosly? I can work and go see the shrink afterwards or before."

"You're not about to play me, Wallace."

"I won't. Just let me work, Cap't. I need this," I admitted, practically begging to come back to work.

He sat in his seat behind the desk and started thinking to himself. I hoping that he'd do this favor for me. "Hmm, let me go see what the chief says about that suggestion and I'll get back to you. In the meantime, go see the shrink. I'll text you the address."

I mentally rolled my eyes, but I didn't have any other options. "Alright, I'll go today."

"You better go today, Brandon. You're one of my best men. I need you back at work. Now, get out of my office and go introduce yourself to your new partner."