chApter 20

[BoNa]

The house has been quiet. My mind has been quiet. School has been quiet. Everything seem to have become silent. As if the mouth and tongue that allowed words to be spoken never existed. As if the friendship between the Alien boy and the mute girl never happened and the mute girl wasn't muted out anymore. 

No one was staring at me. No one was teasing me and that was fine by me. I just can't get a hold that it has been several days since the sick jokes have stopped and since I have last seen V. I don't hear or see him around or near me anymore. I can't even feel him creeping inside my head like he usually do. Maybe he did leave after what I said. 

"Have you heard about Jungkook's secret?" A group of girls giggled beside me in class. 

"How can a cute guy like him be like that huh?" 

I do not know what they are talking about and I am not interested. Rumors are rumors. They only have a certain limit of truthfulness to it and the rest are just crap to feed people's hunger for gossip. But I will not lie. All around me, I have become just a ghost and the only thing buzzing from people's mouth wasn't about the me and my past but Jungkook and his secret. 

I cannot say that I don't want to know but I will say that I have this strange urge to divert all of the bad attention away from him. He hasn't done me any good for the past years but that doesn't change the fact that we have been good childhood friends.

"Class will be session now! Take out your book and turn to page 245 please." The teacher's voice boom, causing students to sit up straighter or run to their desk. 

Just like birds migrating, the classes flew by and our stomach was beginning to growl with hunger. The bell rang throughout the school halls signaling an hour lunch break and like the usual, I would try to find a quiet and secluded place to eat. 

 It wasn't long before I heard noises. Familiar noises that became voices. Instead of walking away, I went towards it. Towards the empty classes on the fourth floor. I don't know what scared me more. The fact that I might walk into another one of my nightmare or there is that one person who has taken my spot of being humiliated.

"You dare look up at me?"  Jihoo's voice drift from the classroom at the far end of the hall. "Ha...why? Are you going to start liking me too?"

"Yah...he already like someone else." Minhee teasingly replied to Jihoo's statement. 

I froze at the entrance. My hands along with my heart shook violently as I stared at Jungkook. He was on his knees, arms up as if he was being punished for misbehaving. His glassy eye stared emptily at his "friends" who examine and watched him like he was some kind of different and unknown specie. 

His lower lips was slightly cut, exposing a slit of red flesh. His left cheekbone was beginning to swell and turn a different color. His arms and knee shook as his eyes travel from Jihoo to the ground. 

"Ugh...how disgusting." Hoon spat as he stood up from where he sat. 

He squat down to level his face with Jungkook's, his index finger pushing Jungkook's head back a couple of times before he spoke again. 

"Let's go guys. I can't stand looking at...whatever this is." He turned, then stop as he saw me blocking the only exit. 

I should be scared for my life because now they were all staring at me but why is it that I was more worried about Jungkook. The way his bangs hide his sad hollow eyes remind me of years ago. The way his lips curve downwards into a frown causes me to feel like I was responsible for this. 

Instead of doing the same to me too. They just ignored me and walked on by. Treating me like an old toy that they grew tired of playing with. 

Silence followed with the closing of the door and after that more silence took over as the vulnerable boy from years ago appear right before my eyes again. He tried to fight back the sobs that wouldn't come out. 

Another moment of silence passed by before he manage to speak again. 

"Aren't I pitiful?" He laughed, finding something about this situation humorous. 

I stood there while he continued to stay in the position of a punished child. "Do you remember... I don't want to see that boy. He is too scary."

"I remember." He look up to me, his lips moving into a pain smile. "How can I forget him when you were the one who protected me from him."

A tear roll down his cheeks but before it could drip down to his chin and fall, I caught it with my hand. 

"P-please..." My words were caught in my throat. "I allowed all of the teasing to happen for this main reason to keep him away. Please don't bring him back."

Jungkook smile continues to grow as he held onto my hand and hugged me around the waist. The only thing I could do to ease the painful coldness he was facing was giving him the comfort he needed. 

"I am sorry...for not being able to keep this boy away from your sight." 

"It's okay." 

I whisper back because the only way to fight those three words of apology was to reassure him with the comforting words of it's okay.