21

Friday February 26
10:29am
SCHOOL

"Brooklyn?" Class had ended and I was in the middle of gathering my pages when my school's basketball coach approached me.

"Could I speak with you for a moment?" He asked and I nodded, ignoring the looks I got from passing students.

"You must have heard the boys' basketball season hasn't been off to a very good start," I nodded, "and I remember in your freshman year how much you loved to play."

That was true. My brother and I had a passion for basketball ever since we were young. Considering it used to be one of my favourite things, I decided to try out for the team and to my surprise I was given the position as point guard.

I played for both my freshman year and my sophomore year, but this year I decided to give it a break and focus of my grades. They're what matter most.

"I know you already told me you didn't want to play for the girls' this year," he smiled, "but I just love the way you play and you're an amazing player, so I was wondering if you could maybe help the boys' team a bit."

I was caught way off guard. Basketball was a hobby to me, nothing near a profession. I never saw myself good enough to be giving pointers and critiquing other players.

"Wow, I'm flattered, Mr. Karan," I told him, breathless. "I'm just curious, how could I help?"

He shrugged. "It would be almost like the role of an assistant coach. You just tell the boys anything you think will help."

"I don't know," I hesitated, "I'm not a very good teacher and don't really know how to explain my technique-"

"I know it's a bit to consider but it's completely up to you, Brooklyn. I wouldn't force this on you but please think about it. If you want to try it out, all you have to do is show up at lunch practice."

I sighed. There's no harm in trying.

"Alright, I'll think about it," I smiled.

"Thank you Brooklyn," he smiled back, "I hope to see you there."

Wow, a girl assisting the boys. Way to represent. I'll show them who can really play.