46

Monday April 17
6:25am

"I don't know if I should tell you now because it will make it awkward if we see each other at school."

"I'll be happy if I see you at school."

"You would not be happy."

"Just tell me already."

"Okay, so as you know, Wilson's friend was the one that made him cheat, right?"

"Yes, he made a bet which was absolutely unnecessary because he knew that he and I were dating."

"Precisely. It was a dick move."

"It very much was."

"And do you remember who that ex-best friend is?"

"I think it was Sykes or something."

"Exactly."

"So?"

"So what?"

"Who are you?"

"Oh my god, Brooklyn. Do I need to spell it out for you?"

"Yes...?"

"It's me. I am that Sykes kid."

"...... Oh...."

"Yeah."

"... What's your first name again?"

"... Jackson. My name's Jackson Sykes."

".... Well-"

"Before you say something, can you let me talk for a moment?"

"... Sure."

"I know right now you're debating whether or not you hate me, and if you do that's okay. You have the right to hate me.

"You're probably wondering why I called you in the first place, well that's because I saw you around and decided maybe I should mess with you. When I called you, you sounded very pissed off. I was a jerk and thought it was very amusing to hear your annoyed voice every time I called. Over time, our conversations turned into more than just bickering, but we started having legit conversations. I liked that, and I liked talking to you so I kept calling.

"When I found out you were the girl Wilson cheated on, I knew I was screwed. I was the reason you had your heart broken. I wanted to keep talking to you even though I didn't deserve it. I was selfish - I am selfish, Brooklyn. I never told you who I was because I didn't want you to leave. I still don't want you to leave me, but now I've figured out that it isn't for me to decide.

"I'm bad at getting straight to the point, but here it is; I never thought it was possible to build a relationship with someone over the phone. I never expected that to happen to me either - this is so hard to admit. I guess what I'm trying to say is, well, I never thought it was possible to fall in love, so falling in love through late-night conversations and arguments was the least I would expect. Don't worry - I'm not saying I am in love because I honestly don't know, but I do know that I care about you. I really, really care about you, Brooklyn. I don't know what these feelings are - why I always want to talk to you, or how I want nothing more than to make you happy. When I think of you my heart skips a beat and I know that sounds cliché but it's true. It physically pains me to know that now you will hate me and it's all because I'm an insensitive asshole and I don't deserve you. There are so many things I want to tell you and I know I sound like a lunatic right now so I'll stop."

"..."

"Brooklyn?"

"... Jackson..."

"It's okay, you don't need to say anything back. I just want you to know that."

"... I think something's wrong with me because I know that I should hate you but I can't bring myself to think of you that way."

"Wait, so you don't hate me?"

"I told you I would never hate you, how could I? I get that you used to be an asshole and may have been the reason I go my heart broken but there's nothing I can do about that now. Most days, you're my only reason for smiling and like you said, people change. You've been nothing but nice to me, and when you show how much you worry about what I'll think, that shows me that you care. Yes, this is a lot to take in and I need time to think about this, but I know for a fact that I don't hate you."

"Well, I'm super embarrassed. So that gushy confession wasn't necessary?"

"Not exactly but it was really sweet."

"Oh. Um, okay then. I'll let you get ready."

"Okay. Thank you."