Chap. 22 • Farewell

Dark, cold and confused.

Three words that's confessed my mind when I woke up. Alone. Three words that I haven't felt in a while.

Then I remembered why.

Today was the day when I needed to leave Antonio in order to sort out the problem from the root. Which meant going back home. Although I wasn't able to find all the traitors, I have no doubt that Coco would but it still bothered me that I was about to leave her in the home of the enemies where she's be defenceless if they found out the truth however something deep within me told me that she's going to be just fine and not to underestimate her.

I sighed. Heavily. The same way as I dragged my body out of bed and dressed myself up. Jeans, heels and a black shirt with a Cartier bracelet completing my look. Just before leaving my bedroom, I glanced over to the side where I had packed my bag the day after the night Antonio spent with me. He didn't sleep besides me which tore me apart as it would be the last time I held him, cocooned by him in our invisible world where we could be together forever. I gulped, blinking back the tears that threatened to shed and ruin my makeup.

With a heavy heart, I closed my doors and made my way downstairs.

"When?" She asked, her face void of any type of emotions but I knew her well enough to know that she felt something. Even if it was disappointment.

"Tonight, when everyone is asleep, someone can inform them about my departure tomorrow morning." I answered, sipping my coffee, studying her as she stared out the windows in the library. Her blonde hair was braided neatly, her blue eyes analysing everyone who was busily working outside the Estate. I noticed the small red mark on the side of her neck and held back a smirk, waiting for the perfect moment to bring it up.

"I assume it's got to do with Nikolay."

I exhaled, glancing out to see Antonio and Claudio laughing among themselves with Valentino. My heart clenched.

"Someone needs to stop him. We can't let Antonio find out about us and so I need to leave and go straight to the source."

Finally she looked over to me, something hidden within her ocean eyes. "That's not all, is it?"

I closed my eyes, slugging my shoulders in defeat. "I can't stay here any longer. He reminds me of who I used to be and it going to get me killed. Once he find about who I really am, who said he'll show mercy? The hatreds between the Russians and Italians will be our barrier and our tragedy."

I shifted my focus to back outside, smiling when I saw Antonio smirk when his younger brother grumbled angrily at something Claudio had said.

"Plus, the feelings are completely one sided." Before she could say anything, I quickly changed the subject to her. "Claudio, I'm assuming?"

Heat rose onto her cheeks, an embarrassed smile and my way as she touched the his claim on her neck. I grinned happily at my best friend, someone who had told me once that to love her was to be killed and here she was, in love with the Mafia Boss right hand man.

"I'm happy for you, Coco. He makes you happy, I can see."

"He does, Xenia. It feels different this time. He looked at me differently to all those men I've been with before. There's just something I can't put my finger on that's different but it's good kind of different." She explained which caused my smile to widen.