Chap. 25 • Revenge

Black.

It was just black.

Cold.

It felt cold.

Suddenly, light blinded me and for a brief second, when I regained my consciousness, I almost thought I was in heave. Keyword: almost.

My body felt like deadweight, my muscles stiff and numb. I was paralysed and, for the first time in my life, I was afraid. I was so scared. I swallowed and slowly, after a long and painful minute, I forced my eyes opened, light blinding me as if the sun was directly in my face. My sight was blurry so I blinked, trying to refocus. My heart thumped every dreadful second and I forced the sob threatening to escape. My eyes felt wet with sudden tears but I never let them fall down my cheeks. I shook off the feeling, pushing my emotions aside and took in my surroundings.

In a warehouse, I was surrounded by boxes and boxes, I gathered that I was in the East port because I recognised the sun light peeking through the windows from the east, the air was cold, colder than usual, and I could smell the salty sea and hear the thrashing waves against the docks. It was eerily silent and I glanced down, noticing how my legs were tied against the chair legs and my hand tied behind my back with a cable. It burned against my skin whether I shifted, even just a little bit, and I winced.

Sighing in defeat, I slugged my shoulders, quietly praying Antonio was safe and so was my family. I didn't know what I'd do if they were harmed because of Nikolay, a man I foolishly allowed to manipulate not just me, using me to murder Antonio, but the men I thought were loyal to my family. It didn't take me long to figure out that Antonio's assassinations was Nikolay's doing, it made sense. I was stupid. I made a mistake getting myself involved, saying yes blindingly to the task without looking into it. I was so lost and addicted to how easily it was to take someone's life that now the life of all those I care about is in the same man who held me only a couple months ago, promising to protect and care for me forever. I was foolish to believe I had him wrapped around my fingers.

"I miss you," I whispered quietly, my eyes dropping to the ground. "Antonio."

"This is quite a view," someone said, a taunting sneer lingering in the tone of their voice. I glanced up, noticing the figure move out of the shadows and into the light. "Xenia Kolsov, tied up, defenceless and defeated."

He sighed, a small smirk graced his lips, "You didn't think you'd be here? Did you?"

"Why, Nikolay? Why?"

"Its simple, no drama or complications," He began. "I want the power, the power that rightfully belong to my family, the Petrovs. That day when the throne was handed to Eric Kolsov was the day my family vowed to take back what was theirs."

"I don't understand," I frowned.

He shook his head with a little scoff, "Of course not. Your father abandoned the Kolsovs, so did your brother. No wonder why you don't understand your true family heritage."

I glared at him,"Keep my dad and brother out of this."

Nikolay smirked, "You know Zoran Vasiliev, he was the Russian Mafia Boss before your grandfather?"

"Of course, he was extremely close with my family," I stated, Nikolay's eyes sharpened slightly.

"Over 30 years ago, Zoran didn't have a heir, his wife was killed with their only unborn son during a clash between the Russians and the Italians. Do you know that, Xena?