Chapter 14

When I woke up, he was the only one in the room.

His body was lazily draped across two of the uncomfortable looking chairs, soft snores coming from his mouth.

I smiled. It felt good to know that someone cares enough about me to risk extreme pain the next morning from the awkward sleeping position he was in.

I decided to let him sleep, so I focused on something else. I noticed someone had brought the homework I had missed from school, so I started doing that.

After an hour, I had completed over half of the work load.

Blake started to shift into a sitting position. He yawned and stretched his arms out, his eyes fluttering open. When he saw me watching him, he sprang to his feet.

"You're awake"

"I guess so" I responded.

"How are you feeling?" Blake asked, pulling one of the chairs closer to my bed.

"Better" I said honestly. I felt better knowing he was here.

"That's good." He said. I noticed he wasn't focusing, he was distant.

"What's wrong?" Concern crossed my face.

He closed his eyes and crossed his hands together.

"Why didn't you tell me you where in pain?" His eyes met mine, they were filled with guilt.

"You don't need to worry about me. It's not your fault, I should have known that I needed to tell someone"

He clenched his fists "I want to take care of you"

"It's not your job to take care of me" I watched him as he stood up.

"Yes, it is my job! I have to protect you"

"No, you don't. I can protect myself" I argued.

"Of course you can, but I want to help you! I want you to be able to come to me" he started pacing the small room.

"Why do you even care about me?" I asked, raising my voice.

"Because I love you!" He shouted back at me.

I was silent, my eyes wide. He had the same reaction, surprise covering his face.

"I-I have to go. I'll be back later" He quickly fled the room.

He..

Loves me?

Blake's POV

I stood outside of her hospital room for a while after my outburst.

I wanted to go back in and apologize, but I couldn't. I have to give her some space.

So I drove to Starbucks, hoping to make it up to her with a frappe. 

I pulled into the drive through and told the lady my order. Black coffee for me, a white chocolate mocha frappe for Carter. I knew that was her favorite.