When a boy tries to shop for a girl

Sam's Pov.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I told Mandy I'd get her a present. So I will. I went into town on Tuesday after school when I was supposed to do homework. I had about 3+half hours to shop until I had to be back for dinner. That's what Kelly said anyway.

I went in on the bus with all of my money that I'd saved all my life. It was actually only about £20 because I don't get much money at all ever. (Let's just remember that all that money has been saved since I was about 2). Anyway, I got into town and it was pouring it down with rain. I pulled my rain coat hood over my head and ran into the nearest shop. I hadn't looked at the shop name and it turned out to be a woman's pants and bra shop. There were no men at all in there, only woman, and they all eyed me offended. I was kicked out by the till girl and told that I was banned from the shop.
"I wasn't planning on coming back anyway!" I muttered to myself.

The next shop I went to was an accessories shop. I think it was called Claire's Accessories. I looked around trying to find things that a girl might like. What do they like?! Jewellery? I looked through the jewellery in Claire's Accessories and didn't find anything I thought Mandy would like. When I'd left the shop I walked down the road trying not to breath in the bad smell of cigarette smoke.

A shop caught my eye called Geraté. I went inside and took my raincoat off. There was shining rings made of real silver and ones made of just silver metal. There were also a load of different necklaces too. I saw a cute sliver necklace with a heart locket on the end. I slid the glass cover off of the case and picked up the necklace. On the locket there was a button and when you clicked it it opened and there was a clock (the necklace is in the picture above). I thought that it would be perfect for Mandy so I asked the man at the till to buy it. He told me that the one I was holding was for decoration so I put it back in the glass case, and then he went to get me another one. He came back a minute later with it in a small blue box.

"That would be £18 please!" He said.
I handed him a £10 note and a £5 then I gave him three pound coins. He stared at the cash and grunted. Well sorry! Not everyone has a card! I didn't say anything, I just took the box and left ignoring the fact that he didn't want cash. He will take the right amount of money or he gets no money, whether it's cash or not!

I suppose maybe it was just a normal thing to pay by card in a posh-ish shop like that.

After that, I went into a card shop and looked for a birthday card. I planned on writing a short poem in it, so it needed to also be a pretty card. Eventually, I got one which looked like this:

 Eventually, I got one which looked like this:

I hope she'll like it. I wrote a little message in it and also put happy birthday in it. Then I found an envelope for it.

I went back to the orphanage on the bus feeling pretty pleased with myself. Even though I only had £1.50 left of my life savings. I don't know how I'll manage to get her anything next year! I might even have to get a part time job. (You know, the ones that teenagers get). Now all I had to do was present the gift to her tomorrow!