03. Nightmares and News

Chapter 3 | Nightmares and News

"Even if she may not be harmed, but her heart may fail her in so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in her waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams."

-Bram Stoker, Dracula

• • •

She was running through a dark corridor, her legs burning with force as she sprinted, the wood creaking furiously beneath her feet. She didn't know why she was running or what from. All she knew was that she had an urge, a desperate need to get away lest the darkness should consume her.

Blinded by her own tears, she ran wildly paying no heed to where she was going. Suddenly her foot caught into something and she tripped, tumbling down to the ground.

Recovering from her fall, she looked up only to see that all the darkness around her had dissipated, vanished. The wooden hallway was gone to be replaced by a spotless white room.

Her eyes bleakly scavenged for the thing that tripped her, the source of her fall. It took her only seconds, to discern a corpse lying a few meters away from her. It was a girl, her blonde hair sprawled against the white floor, her pallid features were distressed due to agony as her hand cupped the wound on her stomach which was drenched in blood. The crimson seeped through her clothes to the pearly white floor, creating a ghastly image.

The girl heard a strangled scream only to realize that it came from her own throat. She looked at the corpse in front of her with wide eyes, unable to do anything but gape soundlessly.

Suddenly a voice boomed around her. It sounded vaguely familiar, like it belonged to a girl she knew. "I trust you," it said from a distance.

"I trust you..." It was closer this time.

I trust you.

I trust you.

I trust you.

I trust you.

It reverberated through her desolate surroundings, getting louder and louder until she couldn't take it anymore. She covered her ears, desperately fumbling with her feet, reeling backwards. Her back collided with the wall as she slid against it and covered her head with her arms.

"Stop it, please, STOP IT!" She yelled at the top of her lungs but to no avail.

She kept on trying to get away, away from the source of  voice. But how can you escape from something that had no source? No direction, whatsoever. It seemed to be coming from nowhere in particular and yet from everywhere, getting louder and louder.

And just when she thought, she'll crumble against the sheer force of those words, they stopped. There was silence, utter and complete silence. She sighed, getting up from her position and looked around, the corpse had disappeared leaving her alone in the dreary room

Then all of a sudden, she heard a laughter only it wasn't pleasant, it was cruel, sadistic even. What followed laughter were the words, "She trusted you..."

"No. Please no. No..." She screamed, looking around yet again, in anguish while tears rolled down her cheeks. She tried to locate the source of noise. But she found none. She screamed incoherently at the top of her lungs as she slumped to the ground unable to take anymore.