21. The Art Of Retrieving Information

Dedicated to slm-95, because she woke up till 2 AM today to read this book. :D I hope your mother didn't scold you a lot. :P
________________________________

Chapter 21 The Art Of Retrieving Information

“If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.”

– C. Joybell C.

• • •

"Got anything important?"

"Nope. Not really." Mallory said sitting next to her apparent-husband. "Besides, these heels are killing me." She scrunched up her nose.

"Yeah, I know. You have mentioned it five times already." Andrew rolled his eyes. "How do you even involve yourself in their conversations? I mean, even I failed to do that!"

"It's a secret. Mallory's secret." She winked.

"Not that useful, though." He muttered under his breath.

"Excuse me, Mr. Andrew whatever, Bells--Aha Mr. Andrew Bells..." She grinned. "At least I am not just sitting here hiding behind potted plants! I am doing something useful."

"Call me Edward." He hissed.

"Yeah. Yeah. By the way, why are you hiding?"

No reply.

"Hello. I am talking to you." She waved her hands in front of his eyes.

"That man over there, Victor Stone, he knows me. And well, let's just say I haven't seen him in a while and I don't intend to, anytime soon. I cannot tell you anything else."

Mallory looked at him like he was a chimpanzee in the zoo, then blinked repeatedly. "Of course you cannot. What was I thinking!"

"Yeah."

"Anyway, when can we leave? I am getting late. It's almost midnight!"

"When these goddam people would let us go. It's not like I love waiting here for these dumbasses to open the door which they sealed shut." He made an agitated motion.

"Yeah, anyway, I will go see if I can find something useful."

"Okay."

She moved past the seats towards the refreshment table where a couple of ladies were talking about some shopping destinations. Boring. Mallory thought. Moving forward towards a bunch of men and women talking about expensive trips. For five minutes, she lurked around the groups of men and women talking gibberish and laughing unnecessary. When finally she came across a trio of women with some useful conversation.

"Did you hear about Antonio?" A forty something woman said.

"Antonio from TB?" Her partner, who looked in her late thirties said.

"Of course. Who else!"

"Yes, what about him." The third said.

"You haven't heard?" The first women said, her voice full of glee and juicy gossip.

Mallory's ears perked up at the mention of the familiar name and immediately she jumped up to be a part of the conversation.

"Oh my god! What a pretty dress! Isn't it the one that was on the cover of 'Cosmopolitan' this month?" She told the forty-something lady, with fake enthusiasm.