31. Vindictive Thoughts

Dedicated to sassykathy16 and ayeesha247.

"Queen of Cliffhangers" and "Mistress of Suspense"? You guys are hilarious. xD I have to say these are probably the best nicknames I've had in my entire life.😂😂😂

• • •

Chapter 31 | Vindictive Thoughts

"It takes a great deal of courage to see the world in it's tainted glory, and still love it."

-Oscar Wilde

• • •

All good things come with an inherent flaw, a flaw which makes us hate and cherish them at the same time. This flaw is the fact that the wait for them seems eternal, whilst they tend to end in a matter of moments. After long, tedious week days, when one sits back and relaxes, it's indeed a feeling he had been longing for eversince the dreaded​ Monday morning. But, it is short-lived. Or so it seems.

As Mallory woke up on the Sunday morning, she couldn't help but feel the same. The previous day went by in a blur and she had an inkling that the present day wouldn't be any different.

Like every normal High School kid, she had plans for weekend which involved studying for her exams which were around the corner. But unlike most average kids, her plans weren't postponed because she was a procrastinator, but because she had more pressing matters at hand. Like for instance, she had to drive down to the Sheriff's station.

"Mum, I'm going out and tell Jake I'm taking his car again," she called out knocking at the door to her mother's bedroom.

"Mallory Millington, did you just knock?" Eva queried as she opened the door and invited her inside.

"I did," she raised an eyebrow. "Is that a bad thing?"

"Oh, no no. Not at all. Quite the opposite, actually!" Eva grinned. "My children are becoming civilised. I think the purpose of my life is fulfilled."

"You do realize that you are probably one of the most melodramatic mothers on the planet?" Mallory face palmed while shaking her head in disbelief.

"What can I say? It's a gift," her mother winked.

"No doubt you are still single."

"Not for long."

"Wait a second, what's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," Eva pressed her lips to a thin line.

"Mom, are you dating someone?"

"Um...yes?" she replied nervously.

"Wow, that's awesome! Why didn't you tell me before? When do I get to meet him?"

"Soon."

"How soon is 'soon'?"

"Depends. How long would it take you to drive down to the station?"

"What? How is that related to -- Oh, God," Mallory's eyes widened in revelation. "Please tell me he is a cop and not a convict."

"What can I say? I was always into bad boys."

"Thank you for giving me disturbing thoughts," she said, pretending to throw up. "Now, tell me who it is."