17. Bloody Surprises

Dedicated to chhavi26 for her votes, comments and clever guesses and rhythem_ for her precious votes. ^_^
________________________________

Chapter 17 Bloody Surprises

"I still get nightmares. In fact, I get them so often I should be used to them by now. I'm not. No one ever really gets used to nightmares."

-Mark Z. Danielewski, House of leaves

• • •

T

he scene unfolded in front of her almost in slow motion as she saw the blood that was splashed across the wooden floor making a nauseating sight. Something was written but her brain couldn't make out the words. All it registered were the polaroids lying all over.

They were pictures of a man, a bloodied man. There were around twenty photographs, taken from different angles. But in all of them he laid on his stomach in such a way that his face wasn't visible. But she knew who it was.

Same body type. Same hair color. The blue shirt that said, 'World's best big brother'.

It was Jake.

The thought made her numb. She felt dizzy and clutched the kitchen counter for support. Slowly, her mind registered the scarlet words written in huge letters. They read:

'BLOOD FOR BLOOD'

No. No. No. Her mind chanted. Please don't let it be him. She prayed, desperately as her shaking hands reached for her cellphone. It took three attempts for her to get the password right. As she dialled her brother's number and put it to her ear.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Pick up the phone. She pleaded. And suddenly she heard an over enthusiastic voice.

"Smelly Melly."

For a second, relief flushed her body. But, it was short lived as she realized that it wasn't the voice she was yearning to hear. Instead, it was...

"Harry?"

"Oh, god. How did you recognize my voice? What did I do wrong? Huh?"

"Harry. Listen to me. Where is Jake?" She said as tears flowed down her cheeks.

"He is out. Why? Did anything happen? Why are you crying?" Her brother's friend asked with concern.

"Why didn't he take his phone?" She said in disbelief.

"It wasn't charged."

"Did he go out with someone? When will he be back? Why aren't you with him? Just tell me, please." She bombarded him with questions.

"Just tell me what happened, Mallory?"

"No, you tell me, damn it! Where the hell is my goddamn brother!?!" She screamed in the phone.

"He is out on a dinner date." Came the short reply.

"With?"

"There's this girl who lives across our apartment. Stacy."

"Give me her number."

"I will text it to you." He said. "Mallory, did something happen? Are you alright?"