13. Departures and Arrivals

Dedicated to @InvisibleHorizons because her comments make me smile.

_________________________________

Chapter 13 Departures and Arrivals

"We don't understand the value of a moment unless it becomes a memory."

• • •

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in." Jake yelled, folding his shirts and putting them in the suitcase.

"You all done?" Mallory said entering her brother's room.

"Yeah, almost." He said sitting on the bed and patting the place near him.

"Wow, I have never seen this place like this before." She said sitting next to him.

"Mom made me clean every corner of this room before leaving." He scrunched up his nose.

"So, when are you leaving?"

"In a couple of hours." He said.

"I hope you remember all the rules?"

"Call you after landing, call you every night and video call every two days?" He said counting each of it on his fingers.

She grinned like a Cheshire cat. "I am proud of you, Jacob Millington." She patted his back.

"I get selected into Yale, you run outside, crying. I remember a couple of stuff, you are proud. Wow! I have a crackpot sister." He rolled his eyes.

"Oh, Shut up! I wasn't crying." She said as her cheeks heated up.

"Sure." He winked. "I got a rather entertaining portrayal of your behaviour."

"You people are stoners!" She pouted. "And I will kill that idiot, Ben!"

"For doing this?" Jake smirked and began in a high pitched sound. "He is leaving me, Ben!"

She rolled her eyes.

"You forgot the motion of hands!" Ben said giggling in the doorway.

"Oh, yes." Jake said bashing his arms.

"Stop it, Jake!" She said playfully punching her brother.

"Alright. Alright." He said. "Come here, Smelly-Melly." He said and engulfed her into a hug.

"I will miss you." She mumbled in his chest.

"Don't worry. Call me whenever you want. And if you need me, then Connecticut is just five hours away from California, okay?." He said stroking her hair. "I will come in a week or two. Alright?"

She nodded.

"Wait, what do you mean, in a week?" Ben said.

"Classes don't start until August." Jake explained. "Right now, I am going to get an apartment. I won't live on campus, you see."

"Too many rules?" He smirked.

He nodded then winked.

"So, no hug for me? Wow, this hurts." Ben said faking a hurt face.

"Come here, you douchébag." He said giving him a bear hug. "Take good care of my sister!"

"She is in safe hands." Ben said winking.