24. When Secrets Come Out

Dedicated to libitinaa and all the other new active readers who joined recently. Also dedicated to cake_7 because she can relate to Mallory at a deeper level. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I have said this time and again my dear silent readers, but please leave a comment if you read a chapter. It really means everything to me when you tell me how you feel about the story. :)

• • •

Chapter 24 | When Secrets Come Out

"She dives into oceans to fly, to dreams be carried away by waves and to let sorrow drown."

-MvDarkLight

• • •

They say that fear triggers different response in different people. While for an average person flight or freeze is common, for someone like Andrew, who had been trained to deal with crisis, his first reaction was to fight. After the moment of initial shock wore of years of training kicked in. His brain went into autopilot mode, devising strategies as the old mantra flashed in his mind.

Eliminate the threat.

Almost reflexively he started making his way towards his first enemy. The guy with the gun. His brain couldn't process anything, except the fact that innocents were in danger. And he had to protect them.

In a matter of seconds Andrew was dashing towards the first person, the one who had yelled. Before anyone could even comprehend what was happening he had tackled him to the ground. In one swift motion the ski-mask was gone, followed by collective gasps and his fist collided with the vaguely familiar intruder's face.

Eliminate the threat.

His mind repeated it over and over as he landed another blow, this time on his shoulders as the blue-eyed boy struggled under his grasp. He was vaguely aware of hands trying to pry him off. But no. He couldn't leave just yet. It was Do or Die.

Eliminate the threat.

With utter irritation he shoved his elbow backwards, not losing hold on the enemy. He pushed his attackers who were trying to grab his hands and pull him away.

"It's okay. Leave him." Someone said.

"It was just a joke dude!" Another said.

But he couldn't process anything. The only thing he could think of was that he was attacking the enemy, eliminating the threat. As the blonde grunted in pain, Andrew finally decided to end it all, he lifted the boy's head a little above the ground. If only he could knock him out, he would reach for the gun. He glanced at the weapon lying a couple of feet away. And before others could even realise what he was about to do he-

"NO!" An ear-piercing scream rang through the room. His head sprang in the direction of the voice. Did he know her? His momentary confusion ended as a groan brought him back to his victim. And he was about to complete his job but a hand slapped his face, so hard that for a moment he was dazed.

Than slowly as if in slow motion he looked up, ready to take over what he assumed was next threat. But as he looked up he saw a familiar girl, teary-eyed who was shaking, with anger or fear, he didn't know.