22. Secrets and Lies

Dedicated to all the silent readers. Come on people, if you are reading this, comment a simple 'Hey!'. I reply to each and every comment. So, feel free!

Random question: Heels v/s Sneakers. What's your choice? ;)
_______________________________

Chapter 22 | Secrets and Lies

"She looks honestly upset, but then, I’ve learned that I can’t read her. The problem with a really excellent liar is that you have to just assume they’re always lying."

-Holly Black, Black Heart

• • •

"So, you are coming, right?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please. Please. Please. Pleeeasee?"

"For the last time Ben, N-O. No."

"Mallory." Ben glared at her.

"Ben." She returned his glare.

They were in the Math class with a substitute teacher, drooling in his chair. Luke, who sat behind the duo of best friends, looked at the two of them, his head bobbing from one to another.

"Mallory Millington, so you are telling me that my childhood best friend, my soulmate and the only girl I have ever loved won't come to my birthday party?" He said dramatically shaking his head.

"Wait, what?" Luke looked at him dumbfounded.

"Shh...I am just trying to do some emotional blackmailing." He whispered from the side of his mouth.

"Smart." Luke smirked.

"You do realise that I am sitting right here?" Mallory scoffed.

"Mallory, Ben is turning seventeen. A young man doesn't turn seventeen everyday except maybe Zac Effron." He smirked at the last part.

"Gee, Luke, that was so funny." Mallory told him sarcastically.

"What's up with you and parties? Huh?" He asked cluelessly.

"Yes, Mallory. Tell him. Tell him why you are so against parties. And if you cannot, well..." Ben rejoiced.

"You son of a bi-bachelor." She narrowed her eyes.

"I thought you were moving on. It's been years." He replied.

"You know, it's official. I am disowning you people." Luke pouted. "I know you both are childhood buddies or whatever, but still I thought that maybe, just maybe you would give me tinniest bit of affection, just a sliver of love. My mistake, I guess. This world cannot be trusted." He crossed his arms and sat with a dejected look.

"Gosh, who twisted your panties! Stop acting all melodramatic, dude." Ben laughed.

"Since, when did expressing yourself become melodramatic?" Luke pulled out his tongue.