08. Secrets And Struggles

Random Question: What do you think of the cover?

• • •

Chapter 8 | Secrets And Struggles

"Because the brightest smiles hide the darkest secrets."

-Anonymous

• • •

"So what will you wear?" Ben said barging into Mallory's room and plopping down in the bean bag chair.

Mallory, who had her eyes glued to her laptop, pulled out the ear plugs and pressed 'Pause' on the episode of 'Teen Wolf' she was watching. Getting interrupted while binge watching was Boone the things she despised the most. With a groan she pulled the screen down and looked at her best friend who in turn gave her an expectant gaze.

"When did you come?"

"Oh, only a couple of hours ago. I was downstairs watching TV."

"Who let you in?" She cocked her head sideways.

"I let myself in," he shrugged. "I have the key, you know."

"So, you had been downstairs all this time when I was sitting here upstairs thinking I was alone. Talk about creepy," Mallory remarked quirking her eyebrow.

"Don't look at it me like that. My cable subscription expired just like that and I was in the middle of an episode. What was I supposed to do? Breaking into your house was my only viable option," he defended with a scoff.

"Accept it, Ben. You are a sick pervert who admires me and you were here to fulfil your sick fetish."

"Jeez, woman. Cut down your crime television shows, they are making you dramatic."

"Baby, I was born dramatic," she said with a cheeky grin.

"That is, in fact, very true!" he agreed. "Anyway so, watcha going to wear?"

"What do you mean?" She stared at him blankly.

"You are going on a date. Aren't you? That too with Mister Mystery!"

Mallory blinked repeatedly. Then she threw her head backwards and bursted out laughing "Mister Mystery? Seriously, Ben?"

Ben grinned sheepishly, "Isn't it a cool nickname? I was thinking of something along the lines of 'White Devil' or something, but that's extremely racist so 'Mister Mystery' has to fill in the slot for the time being."

"Benny. Benny. Benny," Mallory shook her head sideways and patted his cheek, "You need medical help."

"Melly. Melly. Melly. Changing the topic is a classic distraction technique. Now, tell me what you gonna wear to your date?"

"It's not a date."

"Then what is it?" He winked suggestively.

"He just wants to talk," she shrugged.

"About?"

"I don't know..." She trailed off.

After her conversation with Andrew, Mallory couldn't stop thinking about it. He looked vaguely familiar when she first met him, but that was about it. Was it possible that they had before? And if they did indeed meet, then how? Somewhere in the back of her mind, she knew that they hadn't met in the best of the circumstances but she divulged the fact, even from her own self.