05. Devil's Lair

Dedicated to booksarelife148 because she is one of my best friends and reader. ❤

• • •

Chapter 5 | Devil's Lair

"Everyone sees who I appear to be,
but only a few know the real me.
You can only see what I choose to show.
There's so much more that you just don't know."

-Unknown

• • •

"WATCH OUT!" A voice yelled pulling her out of the trance. Although, she could still feel the remnants of the screams reverberating in her ears, but there was no time to pay attention to them. Her eyes widened in horror at the sight before her whilst she lost the control of the wheel.

Immediately another pair of hands joined her and turned the wheel to the other direction. The car collided with the nearby tree. Immediately, the airbags inflated to brace them from the impact of collision.

Within seconds, Andrew opened his side of door and rushed outside. For a moment, she froze, before bolting outside. She followed him as he picked up a little girl.

Mallory was horror struck when she realised what could have happened. While she had zoned out, a little girl had stepped on the road suddenly and Andrew had quickly pushed the steering wheel to other side.

"What the hell was she doing running outside?" he practically barked at the woman.

The woman took the girl from his hand, giving them an apologetic look before rushing inside.

"Who was she?" Mallory asked.

"Just a girl I babysit sometimes." He dismissed her and then continued. "What happened there?"

"What are you talking about?" Mallory shuffled nervously under his gaze.

He reprimanded her, saying, "Are you crazy? Zoning out like that while driving? That girl could have been killed. And what was that even about? You went all rigid and started groaning!"

"Just your imagination," she whispered, her lips pressed in a thin line.

Andrew glared at her and she could clearly see him restraining himself. She could see that he wanted to press the matter further but decided to mind his own business. She was grateful that he dropped without further inquisition.

"Your car -- it's wrecked," He reminded her.

"Yeah, I can see that. My mom wanted to buy a new one anyway," she remarked reassuring herself rather than him. Boy, was she in trouble.

Now she had to call her mother and tell her about the entire incident. Then she would have to beg her not to disown her! One thing her mother was possessive about was her car.

"I gotta call my mother and my cellphone is dead. Can I borrow yours?" she asked.

"Yeah, come on. Let's go to my house," he said rather reluctantly. He didn't want to take her home; it was written all over his face.