Chapter 28

It's funny the moment I open the door to the apartment, it's so quiet I'm sure I could hear a pen drop. Except there's six heads turned towards me as I walk in. "Geez you guys know how to scare a girl", I say as I pick up my keys that I dropped on the floor from seeing all of them. "I'm sorry Ab, they kept bothering me about where you were", Twan tells me as he steps towards me. I sigh and nod my head understanding that they all know I went to see Chance, which makes sense of why they're all here. "You broke up with Hayes to go back to Chance? Are you trying to break up our friends? Did you even have feelings for Hayes?" Gilinsky attacks. I flinch from his words and stop walking towards the living room from where they are. "It's not like that", I tell him. "What is it like then?" Kenny asks, which I'm surprised to even see here considering last time he was really angry at me.

"I couldn't face any of you after what happened with Hayes. I didn't want to be comforted by any of you. I needed to get away", I reply. "Why did you go to him though?" Johnson asks with a frown. I step towards him, but stop when I remember if I reach for him it will only make the situation worse. "Clearly everyone here has their opinion of me leaving and I don't think even if I tell you it'll make a difference. You won't understand anyway", I answer while going to sit down on the couch arm next to Twan who's on the couch. "Try us Ab. I just want to understand everything, because I feel like our friendship isn't like what it's been. Make me understand, because you're wrong what you have to say will make a difference to me", Jake speaks out. "I went to Chance, because I needed him to help me get over the feeling that was holding me back", I finally tell them. "So you can get back together?" Cameron asks. I shake my head no and answer, "No. So I can realize I don't love him anymore and I don't. I'm not in love with Chance anymore."

No one says anything for a minute or two, until Twan asks me, "Are you ok with that?" I look at him and give a genuine smile while replying, "I am. I actually feel so much better knowing I can really move on in life. I know Chance has been a big part of my life and I'll keep him in my life, but only as a friend and nothing else." Jake stands up all of a sudden and stands in front of me. "I'm so happy for you", he tells me right before he wraps his arms around me. "Jake..." I begin to say, but he interrupts with, "No don't say anything. You've had a lot on your mind and I've only been adding to the pile. You're leaving in less than a month and I want to make the best of it. Promise me we'll go back to normal now?" I nod and stand up to hug him back.

I wave goodbye as everyone leaves with a sigh escaping my lips as I sit back down on the couch. Today has already been stressful and I feel like sleep is the only cure for me now. Except before I let my eyes shut I turn them to the bathroom door opening. Johnson's standing there with an amused look on his face. "What's funny?" I ask. He laughs a little and shakes his head no at me, while walking over to the couch I'm on. I poke his side and demand, "Tell me please." Johnson keeps his gaze away from mine as he replies, "You're too cute to handle sometimes." I smile softly at him and lean my head against his shoulder. It's Johnson this time that sighs while laying his head on top of mine. "Do you want to go see a movie with me?" he randomly asks. "Right now?" I question. He laughs and replies, "Yeah right now." I cast a glance up at him and finally agree, "Sure why not? Let's go live life." Johnson jumps off the couch so fast that it causes me to fall onto the cushion, but he pulls me up with his arms. "So clumsy", he tells me while looking into my eyes. In this moment I flash back to/ playing the three-legged race and how we fell onto each other. I shake away the memory before thinking about us sharing that kiss.

"You didn't have to buy my movie ticket Johnson", I comment as we walk towards the concession stand. "I mean I was the one who suggested the movie. I felt responsible for buying them", Johnson tells me while placing his arm on the small of my back. I pause from his action, but in the corner of my eye I see a group of guys looking at me. It causes me to smile, he's being defensive by putting his arm on me. I turn my attention back to Johnson and say, "At least let me buy the popcorn and drinks."

As we walk out of the theater I let Johnson loop our arms together. "Do you think I could be Ant-Man? I think I would have been a much hotter choice", Johnson asks. I look at him and begin to laugh really loudly. "Oh yeah? And I could have been Black Widow in the last Avengers movie", I reply after calming down from my laughter. "You can be whoever you want, because if I was Ant-Man I would save you every time you need saving", he reassures me. I shake my head at him, but before I can get the chance to say something I hear screams. We stop walking and look to the right to find a group of girls running and screaming towards us. "Run", I hear a whisper then feel Johnson grab my hand and tug me to run with him. We run towards the car, but he takes a sharp turn behind a huge truck. I can hear the group of girls getting closer and swear my heart it beating so loud. Then just like that they run past the truck and I can catch my breath again.

"What a thrill to end the night", Johnson comments while smiling wildly at me. I smile back and lean on the truck behind us. "Why didn't you want to stop and allow the girls to get a photo and autograph with you?" I ask. He keeps his gaze on me when he replies, "Normally I would, don't get me wrong I do kind of feel bad for running away, however we were hand in hand walking out of the movies. Those girls would have torn you apart. Abbi you just got your life together, I don't want to be the cause of another obstacle you have to overcome." I take in my breath suddenly from his words. After everything that's happened, he still cares? I don't know what to say now though. "Thank you for that Johnson", I finally get out. He smiles at me again as he gets up and reaches down with his hand to help me up. In which I gladly take, except I didn't see the curb right there and I trip.

Within seconds Johnson's grip tightens around mine and I'm pulled to his chest. "See I told you. Clumsy", he tells me, but being this close I can feel the breath from his words. In which causes me to start blushing. Great. I step back and hold me balance when I see Johnson's gaze narrow and follow it to the hem of my shirt, then just like that he turns around and walks away. Puzzled, I stand in my spot looking at him as he walks away. I move my hand to the rim of my shirt to find the reason that has Johnson mad, I'm still wearing the necklace Hayes gave me. I run after Johnson and grab his arm to jerk him around before he opens up the car door. "I didn't want to lose it before I returned it to him", I explain. He doesn't turn my way though. "It doesn't matter what your reason is, because it's no big deal. I mean it's not like we're an item. We're just friends and as your friend I don't care whose necklace you wear", he tells me with no emotion then finally gets in the car. I'm left there with mixed feelings. I mean yes we're not a couple, but it's the way he said it. Earlier tonight I thought maybe Johnson and I can be friends, but after this I'm not sure it'll be that easy. I slowly make my way towards the other side of the car and get in.

Once he pulls up to my apartment he still hasn't said a word, not even as I open the door. However, I stop and turn back to him. "Look at me Johnson. Jack Johnson look at me", I demand. Slowly he turns towards me, but still doesn't say anything. "I know what wearing this necklace looks like, but I'm also scared of seeing Hayes' face as I return it. One more thing, I know we're not together but you mister, mean a lot to me and I don't want you to hate me. I'm sorry for everything", I say before turning back to go into the apartment where I let my tears fall.

_______________________________________________________________

I'll keep this author's note short and sweet. On that, thank you to everyone reading!! Continue to comment below on your thoughts. I love you guys....and remember four more chapters left!

Well until next week :)