1. Strings

"Met this girl when I was three years old
We were holding hand tight, or so I'm told
And it felt like an eternity
Said it felt like an eternity"

Some people say there is magic in this world. Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that it is pretty magical the moment two people meet, and end up spending their entire lives together. There are several people like this, of course, but this story has to have a plot, according to every English teacher, ever, so we'll just focus on one pair. Shawn and Lucy. Through their lifetimes, of course, there were...difficulties. Ups and downs, wins and losses, good times and rough patches, and well you get the picture. But, somehow, they always came back to each other. Always pulling each other in, like magnets.

When Lucy was three, her mother's best friend was married. And her mother being the maid of honor, before Lucy had any say so in it, her mother had her in a nice, uncomfortable dress, hair perfectly curled, and ears newly pierced.

It was a beautiful service, though Lucy didn't know it, because...well, she was only 3 years old, and the only things on her mind were the horses on the gravel road, waiting for the newly married couple, and the food. Eventually, though, they were leaving, until the bride's father had started talking with Lucy's mother, mainly reminiscing about times when she and the bride were in high school. Well, Lucy being a curious 3-year-old, with no tolerance for boredom, decided to leave her mother for a bit, and go exploring. She climbed up the hill, seeing a brunette boy. She collapsed next to the boy, who was sitting, legs crossed, picking at the plants.

"Hi." Lucy says, pulling down her dress, which had ridden up, and sitting like the boy next to her. The boy didn't respond, just stared at her with fascination, and a hint of fear.

"Herrrrrrooooo..." She says, waving a hand in front of his face, trying to get him to react in some way, shape, or form.

"Oh, um, hi." The boy responds finally, softly. So soft, in fact, that the loud and fearless 3-year-old almost didn't hear him.

"I'm Lucy." She said with a slight lisp.

"I'm, uh, Shawn."

"How old are you?" Lucy asked, curiously.

"I'm 3." He said, smiling, holding up 4 fingers, causing Lucy to giggle, and pull one of his fingers back down to his hand.

"Oh right." He says, as he drops his hand, along with his bright smile. "I always do that."

"It's alwight." She took a hold of Shawn's hand, gripping it tight. "Hey,
let's go somewhewe."

"Where?"

"I don't know. But this is just so boawing." Lucy complained, pulling Shawn up, dragging him along as she ran. Then suddenly, Shawn stopped.

"Whoa, what's that?" He pointed to a shiny, silver object in the green grass. He picked up the object, and Lucy saw it was a tiara. Shawn dusted off the grass and dirt off of the tiara, and placed it on Lucy's head.

"See?" He says, spreading his arms out, in emphasis. "Now you look even more like a princess." Lucy giggled, as Shawn bent down on one knee, grasping her small hand, and kissing it.

At the same time, Lucy's mother, Lena, turned around to see...well, not Lucy.

"Lucy?" She yelled, her eyes scanning the area around her, searching for short legs, and brown hair.

"Luce, baby!" She called desperately, hiking up her long skirt, running to find her only daughter.

Meanwhile, Shawn's mother, Karen, came out of the bathroom, only to find her 3-year-old had run off.

"Shawn? Shawny!" She screamed throughout the pavilion, then ran off, searching for her son.

Karen and Lena finally spotted the brunette children. They started walking toward them, but they both stopped. But while, Lena stopped when the boy put a tiara atop Lucy's curls, Karen stopped when she saw Shawn bend down on one knee, and kiss the girl's hand. The mothers gushed from opposite sides of the hill, instantly knowing the two would stick by each other forever. The women finally spotted each other, making their way to meet at the top of the hill.

"Is that your daughter?" Karen asked, referring to Lucy.

"It is. Is that your son?" Lena asked, politely.

"Yes." Karen says, starting to walk over to the two children.

"Wait." Lena says, holding her hand out. "Maybe we should leave them... I have a feeling that they're-"

"Forever? Yeah, I was thinking the same thing." And that was the start of everything they ever knew.

I don't know if I believe in fate, but I do know that if Lucy hadn't gotten bored... Or if Shawn had run away from Lucy... If Shawn and Lucy had been obedient children... If Karen and Lena hadn't gotten along... Well, they wouldn't be best friends, and there would be no story.

But they did...

And there is.