5. Life Of The Party (2)

"I love it when you don't take no
I love it when do what you want 'cause you just said so
Let them all go home, we out late
We don't care what them people say"

When Shawn and Lucy were 11, and Hayes was 9, he had to tell them some bad news. He told them to meet him at his house, so Shawn and Lucy walked to the Griers', only a few blocks away.

"Hey." Lucy greeted brightly as Hayes's brother Nash let them in.

"'Sup. Hayes is in the living room." The 12-year-old informed them with a nod, and a slightly sad expression, which confused the both of them. Nash went back to his room, to do "homework" which usually means nothing good, while Shawn and Lucy headed over to the living room, where Hayes was sitting on the couch. His elbows were on his knees, head down, right leg shaking, nervously, which again, once again, confused the both of them.

"Hey, Haysie." Lucy spoke first, breaking the silence. Hayes stood up, as Lucy walked over to hug him, while Shawn sat down, dreading what was obviously bothering his friend.

"So what's up?" Shawn spoke, for the first time. "Why'd you call us over her? And why are you all fidgety? What's wrong?"

"I have some news, and you're not gonna like it."

"What?" Lucy asked, sitting on the couch, next to Shawn, and across from Hayes, who was perched on the arm of a sofa chair. "What could possibly be happening that is so bad, that we won't like it. We're best friends... The Golden Trio!"

Hayes just looked away from them.

"Hayes just talk to us." Shawn said softly, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees. "What do you have to say?"

"I have to say...goodbye." Hayes said slowly.

"Wait, what?" Lucy asked.

"My dad got a job in the states."

"What?" Lucy repeated.

"He got a job teaching football at a high school. In North Carolina. We leave tomorrow."

Suddenly, Lucy shot up from her place on the couch.

"Where are your snow chains?"

"What?"

"Come on, it's Canada, you must have some somewhere. You know the things you put on your tires, so your-"

"Yeah, Luce, I know what snow chains are."

"Well where are they?"

"Again, I say. What?"

"If I tie you up to the stair case, your family can't move, right."

"Luce..."

"Ok, maybe not you. What about Skylynn? They love Skylynn, right?" Lucy widened her eyes, realizing what she just said.

"Thanks." Hayes said, sarcastically.

"No, Hayes, I didn't mean that they didn't- Oh, you know what? We don't have time for this. Tell me where your snow chains are!"

"Lucy, no." Hayes said, sadly.

"Hayes, yes." Lucy said, mockingly.

"I'm sorry, but no."

"Yes. Please Hayes!"

"I can't. You can't ignore this, Luce, I'm leaving tomorrow. There's nothing you can do about it. Please stop."

"Don't say that. I will do something about it. If I can't stop you from leaving, then I can't stop anything from happening."

"No." Hayes said.