20. I Know What You Did Last Summer (Pt. 2)

"I know
When she looks me in the eyes
They don't seem as bright
No more
No more."

S e b a s t i a n

I raced through the school looking for Lucy. I had to tell her not to go with Tyler.

He's a bad guy.

Trust me, I know.

I'm not proud of it, but I used to run with his crowd.

Tyler, Lindsay, Jacob, Madison, all of them.

Let's just say something happened.

Why do you think I stick with Shawn now?

I looked just about everywhere.

Finally, I bounded down the stairs into the main hall.

No Lucy.

But Shawn is by the lockers.

"Shawn!" I yelled, running over to him.

He jumped a foot in the air, dropping his Spanish book.

"Yes?" He asked as I approached him, bending down to get his book.

"Where's Lucy?"

"What? I don't know. I think she has a study group. Look, Seb, you were right."

"Yes. What am I right about this time?"

"Lucy. I think I like her. And...I think I'm gonna ask her to the dance."

My smile grew after hearing that. And I saw Riley walking up behind Shawn.

My smile dropped.

"Ok. But Shawn... there's something you need to know."

Riley's eyes grew and she swiped her hands across her neck in a "no" motion.

"What is it?" He asked, as his eyes narrowed.

"Well, um, Lucy-" I started to tell him, but Riley ran up and wrapped her arm around the back of my neck, and covered my mouth with her hand.

"-will definitely say yes to you. Right, Seb?"

I didn't say anything, mostly due to the fact that Riley's hand prohibited it, but also because I couldn't lie to Shawn.

"Right, Seb?" She gritted her teeth, and kicked me in the ass with her combat boot.

I winced and she uncovered my mouth.

I curled my lips in, and nodded.

"Great." Shawn smiled wide. "I'm gonna go start brainstorming danceposals. Bye." He basically skipped away.

Riley turned to me and hit me in the arm.

"You can not, under any circumstances tell him."

"He's gonna find out anyway."

"Promise me."

"Didn't you hear him? He's going to ask her to the dance!"

"And then she'll tell him."

"Uh, yeah, sure. After he puts himself out there and gets humiliated. No, I'm not gonna let him get rejected for nothing." I turned to walk away.

"Seb, please!" I stopped in my tracks. I could hear the desperation in her voice, as she grabbed onto my arm. I turned to see her pleading with me with her eyes.

"You can't tell him." Her voice broke at the end. "If he finds out, she'll hate me. Lucy will ditch me. And let's face it, everyone likes her more than me... You guys are all I have."

I couldn't move, I was so shocked. Riley's the most confident person I know. I've never seen her so vulnerable.

"Please." She said after a minute of just looking at each other.

I snapped out of my daze and nodded.

"Ok. Of course." I slowly grabbed the hand on my arm, and held on it. "Riles, come here."

I dropped the hand, and hugged my arms around her shoulders.

After a few moments, I feel her kind of nuzzle into my chest, her arms wrapping around my waist.

What a mess.