9. Life of the Party (3)

"We don't have to be ordinary
Make your best mistakes
Cause we don't have the time to be sorry
So baby be the life of the party"

L u c y

As I opened my eyes, I was very confused and disoriented. I could feel the bag under my eyes. I looked on the bed beside me, finding Shawn fast asleep. My head snapped up as I heard a rustling downstairs.

I threw back the comforter and tiredly walked downstairs, knowing it was more than likely one of my brothers. Evidently, it was Ben attempting to do something at the oven. And, from the looks of Ben almost pulling out his hair, he was failing horribly.

"Ben, wh-.... It's the middle of the night!"

"Lucy, it's like 6. Luke is still awake."

"Whatever. Well, what are you doing?"

"Just working on my cooking skills. Are you proud of me?" He says, shoving a bowl of Cocoa Puffs in my face. I looked from Ben, to the bowl, and back, slightly chuckling.

"Ben, it's cereal. It has literally 2 steps." I said, and Ben's face fell.

"Well, yeah, but... But I made it all by myself!" Ben declared.

I laughed, shaking my head, and grab the bowl from him, and scooped a spoonful into my mouth.

"Ew! You put in the milk in first, didn't you?" I accused, scrunching up my face in disgust.

"Well, yeah, but..." Ben mumbled, and I burst out laughing.

"I'm messing with you, Ben." I laughed, and Ben couldn't help but grin widely. As the laughter died down, my face quickly fell.

"Hey, what's wrong, Luce?"

"Nothing." I said, but Ben gave me a look. One of those "all-knowing big brother" looks.

"Just... High school drama. You know how it is."

"Yeah, I guess." Ben said, taking his cereal to his room. I sighed, and went upstairs to the bathroom, washed my face, and walked back to my room, tiredly.

"Hey, Lu." Shawn says, from across my room, causing me to jump, having a mini heart attack.

"God, Shawn," I say, putting a hand over my heart,"you scared me!"

"Sorry, Lu." He shrugged, tiredly. "Listen, I really have to work on that English assignment. Are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Just going to take some time, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it. Love you, Lu." Shawn says, wrapping me into a hug.

"I love you, too."

He pulls away, and slipped through the window, crawling across the tree, connecting our two windows.

I turned and walked to the long, full body mirror, and examined my plain plaid shirt, jeans, and converse.

No wonder he doesn't like me. I look like I don't care about myself, so why should anyone else care about me? And to top it all off, I'm the weirdest person at my school!

I turned away and sat down at my desk. I put my face in my hands, then angrily slammed my hands down on the desk, rattling a small safe, and almost knocking it off. I looked at it thoughtfully for a minute, then stood up, an idea forming in my head. I, then, ran down the hall to Ben's room. I knocked, and opened it, as Ben pauses the youtube video he was watching.

"What?"

"Hey, Ben-ny."

"What do you want?"

"A favor."