17. Never Be Alone

And heyI know there are some thing we need to talk about

And hey
I know there are some thing we need to talk about
...
Just let me hold you for a little longer now."

L u c y

I barely even flinched when I heard the door click open.

"Hey, Luce." I heard Shawn's voice greet cautiously.

I crossed my arms, keeping my gaze on the next episode of  That 70s Show, wishing I had an Eric Foreman in my life. I turned off the tv, accepting I would probably never know if Red ever found out that Eric used the corvette.

"Aaliyah's upstairs with Luke."

"No, I- Wait, you left my sister alone with a boy?" He screamed.

"Dude, relax! They're like nine. And I'm like 93.2% sure Luke is gay, so-"

"Lucy!"

"What?"

"Ok, first, weirdly accurate, but, like you said, they're nine!"

"Whatever! Dude, you need to calm down before I have to go get you a paper bag."

"Ok." He nodded, taking a seat next to me.

"Ok first, Ben's upstairs. I told him to keep an ear out and check on them. Second, I love Aaliyah. I would never let anything happen to her. And 3, Luke is harmless. He's literally less threatening than a puppy. At least they bite."

"Yeah." Shawn laughed a little, scratching the back of his neck like he always does when he's nervous. Then his smile dropped, and he faced  me.

"Luce, we need to talk."

"Look, if you're gonna try to lecture me again, then I-

"No. We've been best friends for over 10 years, and if we're gonna get past this, we need to talk this out. We can't just fight and stop talking to each other for days on end. We have to get through this together. Can we try that?"

I took a deep breath, nodded, and propped myself up on the arm of the couch, and slung my legs over his lap, like when we were kids.

"Look, even though I'm not ecstatic at our situation right now-"

"Shawn."

"Can I finish?" He smiled at me, but there a hint of irritation in his eyes.

"Yeah. Sorry, go ahead."

"Thank you." He said, then took a deep breath. "Even though it's not my favorite thing in the world, I know that I have to accept it. Because I'm not letting you go. I can't even remember who I was before you came into my life."

"Well, granted, you were 3." I quipped, which caused us both to smile, and, out of the blue, he grabbed my hand, and intertwined his fingers with mine.

"I know, but... I don't even want to imagine what my life would be like if you weren't in it. It wouldn't be pretty."

"Yeah, me either." I shrugged, looking down.

"Bullshit." He said, smiling. "You'd be fine."

"No, I wouldn't." I said, shaking my head. "I honestly don't know how anyone can live without a Shawn Mendes by their side. Even though sometimes you can be a major ass, you're always there... Even when I think I don't want you to be."

"Luce, all I care about is that at the end of the day, no matter what, you're still Lucy Diaz- you're still my Lucy Diaz. The girl I've been following since that day we first met... I still don't know who's wedding that was, though." He added, a look of confusion crossing over his face, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah, me either. We should really send them a thank you card." I laughed, and Shawn smiled wider than I've ever seen him smile before.

"Can you promise me something?" He asked, after a couple minutes.

"Yeah." I answered immediately. "What is it?"

"Promise me you won't change who you really are."

"What?" I asked, because by this point I was really confused. Shawn sighed, and looked straight into my eyes, trying to make me understand.

I didn't.

"I've seen it...Ok, when Riley started liking Nate, she started pretending to be dumb and acting like she loved sports and hated books. She completely lost herself. I don't want that to happen."

"It could never. Honestly, I'm kind of offended, Shawn." I said, then smiled to let him know I was joking. "I'm still me. I still love school, and overly dramatic horror movies and cheesy old tv shows, and Wicked. I still hate science, and Justin Bieber, and losing. I still love your voice. I still love when Ian dances like an idiot. I still love when Riley and I fangirl over Percy Jackson. I still love when Laur and I go shopping for absolutely nothing. I still want to go to college in the states. I still want to be an actress. I still hate when we fight. I'm still me, Shawn."

"Promise?" Shawn asked, playing with his fingers.

"Promise." I said, sticking my pinkie out.

Shawn looked up, smiled wide, and wrapped his pinkie around mine. He hugged me, and I fell back on the couch, and he went with me. And we just stayed there, as he snuggled into my arms and I ran my hands from the top of his head to his neck. He always shivers, but he always asks me to do it on movie nights.

We stayed there until we slowly drifted off to sleep.