14. Kid In Love (2)

"You make me feel
Like I got it all, yeah
And you make me feel
Like I'm just a kid in love"

L u c y

"So where is Shawn?" Riley asked me, heading to 4th hour.

"Who cares?" I responded, rolling my eyes.

"Whoa." Riley laughed nervously, stopping both of us from walking any further. "I could tell there was some tension this morning, but has it really gotten that bad?"

"No, he just...doesn't get it."

"Hey, Lucy?"

I turned around to see the one- the only- Tyler.

"Umm... I'm gonna go... I have to...leave." Riley said, jogging away.

"Hey, Tyler. Wait...you know my name?"

"Of course I do." He chuckled, making the corners of his eyes crinkle adorably. "I've known you since grade 2."

"Sorry." I laughed, nervously. "It's just- Uh, nothing. What's up?"

He slightly frowned at that, but then he smiled again, his eyes glittering.

"Well, I was just wondering if you maybe wanted to...Umm..." he stuttered, scratching the back of his head. I've never seen him so flustered.

I didn't even know Tyler could get flustered.

"Are you okay?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I wanted to know if you wanted to go to Formal with me."

Shock hit me like a truck. My eyes widened as my breath got caught in my throat. I stood there, not moving for a minute. When I finally did, it was to look behind me, just to see if Lindsay or a cheerleader was behind me.

Nope.

"Me?"

"Yeah. You. Lucy Diaz. I wanna take you."

"Yes!" I all but screamed. "Uh.." I trailed off, quieter. "Yeah. Sure. Sounds good."

"Great. I can pick you up at 7. We can go out with Chris, and Shawn, if you want."

"Yeah, uh." I smiled, nervously. "I'll get back to you on that part."

"Ok. Text me." He smiled walking away.

Once I saw him round the corner, I jumped up and down, squealing, screaming, and (I think) crying. In the middle of my happy dance, I realized he never gave me his number.

"Fuck!"

$&£

"He what?" Riley screamed at the lunch table.

"Shh!" I said, looking around. "Look, it's not a big deal."

Riley gave me her all-knowing "really?" look, and I caved, breaking into a gigantic smile.

"Ok, so it's a huge deal! I literally cannot wait. Can the dance be tonight.... Actually no, I wouldn't have time to do anything. Oh my God!" I rambled.

"What?" Riley laughed.

"What am I gonna wear? I can't wear old faithful because..." I gestured to what I'm wearing,"Yeah."

Old faithful is my red and black flannel-looking dress that I've had since grade 7.

"Dress shopping?"

"Oh Lucy..." She said, tearing up. "I thought you'd never ask."

"Never ask what?" Ian asked as he and Shawn, and Laur walked up to the table, sitting down.

"If I would go dress-shopping with her." She laughed.

"For the formal?" Shawn asked, taking a bite of his sandwich.

I nodded, monotonely.

"Riley, who are you going with?"

"Speaking of dates, guess who Lucy's going with?"

"Who?"Shawn asked, confused.

"Ty-" She started but I cut her off, shaking my head.

"Uhh- Why.... Why just Lil Ol' Me!" Riley said,dramatically.

"Aww, Luce, I thought you were going with me!"

"I thought you were going with Ian."

"Ian's going with Laur."

"Oh is he now?" I asked, smirking. Laur laughed nervously, and Ian turned red, looking away.

"Sorry, Shawn." I commented, quickly dragging Riley to the side of the lunch room.

"Thanks for that." I sighed.

"What's going on? Why don't you want Shawn to know?"

"Because he'll get all stupid again."

"What?"

"He...doesn't trust Tyler. He'll think he only wants to go with me because I look like this. And even if that's true, I don't care. He'll make a big deal out of it."

"Ok. But...you have to tell him."

"I will. Soon, I promise."