8. Stitches (2)

" I thought that I'd been hurt before
But no one's ever left me quite this sore
Your words cut deeper than a knife
Now I need someone to bring me back to life "

L u c y

I'm not like most girls, and Shawn had learned that quickly. I try to stay away from trouble and real-life drama as much as possible. But sometimes it doesn't work.

It's freshman year, and I have had a crush on Tyler Jones for about 3 years now. Tyler was the epitome of crush-worthy. He had luscious brown hair, and large, captivating hazel eyes. He was also tall and built, and played more than just baseball. And to top it all off, he was in drama, and didn't suck at it, or get made fun of for it, unlike every, single other person in drama. Which Shawn personally thought was extremely stupid.

I decided to build up my courage, and ask Tyler to the End-Of-Year Formal. I had everything set up.

The cheesy poster and everything, and my friends could tell I was excited. Luckily, Riley was "friends" with Tyler's brother, so I could know ahead of time, how he felt about me, and how things would most likely go.

At least that's what was supposed to happen. Riley was supposed to text Tyler's brother, Nate, and ask what the situation was.

As I left drama rehearsel, Riley caught up to me.

"Hey, Luce." Riley says, stopping me outside.

"Oh, hey, Riley. What's up?"

"Umm... Nothin. You?"

"I'm just...nervous. You know, about Tyler."

"Oh, yeah. About that..." Riley trails off.

"What?"

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Why not?"

"Luce, he's asking someone else."

"What?" I repeat.

"Tomorrow, he's asking Lindsay to the Formal.

"Oh." I say warily, suddenly having trouble breathing.

"I'm really sorry, Luce, I-" Riley says, trying to comfort me, but gets interrupted by a car horn. Riley glances at the car, then back at me.

"I-I have to go." She says. I numbly nod, as Riley runs off. I stand there, unmoving.

"Hey, Lu." Shawn calls, running up to stairs to the double doors, that I was standing in front of. I don't move, I barely even blink.

"Lu?" He asks, warily, making his way toward me.

"Lucy, are you ok?" Shawn places his hands on either side of my face, forcing me to look at him. I finally, reluctantly, sweep my eyes to look into his deep brown ones. I clear my throat, and shake my head, forcing him to drop his hands.

"Y-Yeah." I say, forcing a smile.

"Your mom told me to walk you home. She took Luke and Ben to a doctor's appointment."

"Ok." I say, as Shawn immediately turns around, crouches down, and puts his arms down behind him. I grab onto his shoulders, jumping on his back, as Shawn grabs the back of my thighs. As Shawn starts walking, I bury my head in the crook of his neck, as a feeling of fatigue washes over my.

$&£

Shawn, now carrying me bridal style in his arms, walked up the stairs to my room, and carefully laid me down in my bed. As he was tucking me in with the stuffed turtle he got for me when we were like 11, his phone rang.

"Shit." He whispers, reaching into his pocket for his phone.

"Sorry, Lu." He says, even though he should know it doesn't matter. I could sleep through the apocalypse.

"Hello?" Shawn answers, closing the door to my room, and bounding down the stairs.

S h a w n

Hey, Shawn." Riley's voice echoes from the other end of the phone.

"Hey, Riley, what's up?" I ask,collapsing on the couch, kicking off my converse.

"Is Lucy there?"

"Yeah, but she's sleeping right now. I guess she was tired after rehearsel. Why? What's wrong?" I ask, and Riley didn't answer for a minute.

"Oh...wow. She... She didn't tell you. Oh god." She trails off, sighing sympathetically.

"Tell me what?"

"You know how she was going to ask Tyler to The Formal?"

"Yeah, what about it?" I ask, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"There was a...uh...complication."

"What?"

"And by 'complication', I mean Lindsay Garcia."

"Of course you do." I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "So Tyler's asking Lindsay?"

"Yeah, I-I'm sorry you had to find out this way."

"It's okay, Riley. I gotta go, though."

"Yeah, I get it. Bye Shawn, see you tomorrow."

"Ok. Bye." I hang up, and walk up the stairs to Lucy's room.

I open the door to her room, and peek in. Lucy quickly fluttered her eyes closed, trying to avoid the inevitable. But I saw her, and I knew Lucy wasn't asleep. I climb into her bed, facing her back.

"Lucy?" I chant, softly. Yet, she doesn't move a muscle.

"Lu, come on. I know you're not asleep."

Lucy's shoulders lifted, a sign that she sighed, and then she stirs, turning around to come face-to-face with me.

"Lu, why didn't you tell me?" I ask. Lucy shrugged, but I know better. I gave her a look, and once again, she sighed in frustration and exasperation.

"Because I didn't know if it was okay." Lucy responds truthfully, and I was taken aback by her answer.

"Lucy Diaz, what in the hell are you talking about? I'm your best friend, you can talk to me about anything."

"But...isn't that, like, awkward for you? Boy talk, and stuff...?"

"Was it awkward for you in seventh grade when I has a crush on Riley?" I say, making Lucy laugh.

"Remember how you used to go on... And on... And on-"

"Ok, yeah, I get the point." I say.

"No," Lucy smiles,"it wasn't awkward. But that was different."

"How? How was that any different?"

"Because..." Lucy trails off, realizing she couldn't finish. She couldn't think of anything to say to me.

"Because she one of my best friends." She finally realizes.

"And that's supposed to make it less awkward?"

"I don't know! I'm just trying to make sense out if this whole situation." Lucy shouts, hysterically.

"Shh, shh, it's okay, Lu. I know." I calm her, gently bringing her head to my chest, and running my hands through her hair.

"No it's not."

"I know, but it will be. I promise you."