2

Date: 02.03.2063

Louis lay his head back as his car travelled through the bland countryside which was full of the paupers he hated so much. The quest for a wife had not been successful for him, every girl he saw looked the same- there was nothing special about any of them.

"This will be the last village," Louis told his advisor who looked up at him like he had gone insane, "I am tired of this."

"Sir there are still so many villages left-" the advisor knew that Louis was not a man to be argued with so instead of speaking some sense into the young man, the advisor decided to remain quiet.

The leader watched the world go by till the car pulled up near a village where an old man was waiting to greet them.

"Hello, my name is Andrew. I am the town's vicar and we must say what a pleasure it is to have you in our village," the vicar looked wearily on at Louis who held more sin than hell itself; only those who could think for themselves knew that the leader was nothing more than a deluded man with a large ego. But nobody would dare say that aloud in fear of being killed.

Louis refused the vicar's hand and instead walked into the village square where hundreds of girls were standing in line. When he walked along the line he couldn't help feeling like some of the girls were too young to be his bride. Even though he held little morals, he knew when something was wrong.

Baby faced girls looked up at him with wide, scared eyes and Louis walked past them hurriedly, worried that he would feel guilty and therefore not be able to carry on with his expedition.

Jane watched as the man walked along the line, getting progressively closer to her; he hadn't spoken to any of the girls, he hadn't even really looked at any of them. He was four girls away from her.

Three girls.

Two girls.

One girl.

He looked up at that very moment and met the blue eyes of the pauper girl who was on the verge of tears, there was something about her that made him want to stare at her for hours upon end.

"What is your name?" He barked at the young girl who jolted when he spoke, the sudden noise scaring her.

"Jane, sir," she curtsied down, terrified of the powerful man who was talking to her. She was worried as to why, out of all the girls, he had chosen to speak to her.

Louis took one last look at the girl before walking back to his advisor, whispering in the man's ear, "I will take her."

Without even looking back, the leader walked back to his car where he sat and waited for his new bride to join him. There was something about the girl that intrigued him, and if she turned out to be a bore at least she was an object for him to play with. That was how he saw woman, toys that could be thrown away when he got bored of them.

Back in the village square, the girls all looked at Jane who was standing awkwardly while people whispered about her. Nobody could see why the dictator had chosen her, she was not special in anyone's vision- she was just another girl. A man in a black suit went over to the blue eyed girl warily and began to take her in the direction of the car.

Jane's mother cried out as loudly as she could, realising that her daughter would be taken without the parents' consent. The heavy woman ran as fast as she could but was held back by a man in police uniform; Jane turned around as she was yanked away and waved at her mother with tears streaming down her face. It was all so sudden, all so quick. Her brain couldn't even process what was happening when she was thrust into the back seat of the black limo, forced to sit next to her new husband.

"Don't cry, I don't like those that cry," Louis snapped at her, the poor girl wiped away her tears and watched with agony as she was driven away from her home. From all she ever knew.

Silence enveloped the car as Jane tried her best not to cry and Louis tried his hardest not to slap the girl who was already getting on his nerves. Jane couldn't understand why the man sat next to her had chosen her, she knew that his reasons would never be known to her.

***
"I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride," the vicar spoke to the pair that was standing in front of him, the church was empty except a few of Louis' advisors.

Jane had tears running down her face which revolted Louis to the point where he couldn't bring himself to kiss her. Instead the man just turned around and yanked his new wife away from the alter, feeling anger bubble inside of him. He wished that he had chosen another girl, one that wouldn't cry at any given moment.

"Stop your incessant crying, woman!" Louis whispered in the ear of the distraught woman and in fear of what he would do to her, Jane stopped her blubbering.

Happy with himself, Louis walked them both back to the car and they waited in silence for the driver to arrive again. The new bride played with the ring on her finger, knowing that it didn't symbolise anything; there was no love between them, nor was there any emotion.

"To the house," Louis called to the chauffeur who had returned to the car regrettably;like many of the dictator's men, the driver hated the pompous man with every fibre of his body. But he still had to serve his master, otherwise he knew that he would be dead within the day. Louis had that power, he could just kill a man and nobody would notice. Life would go on as if that person never existed.