23

Date: 18.03.2063

Louis stomped his way back to his bedroom after his encounter with Jane, his blood boiled and bubbled like a pot of scorching water. He couldn't believe that she had been found, the idea of ever seeing her again was almost fairytale and he had really believed that he would simply spend his whole life trying to find the disobedient wretch.

"Sir, I suggest you make a speech to the people to let them know that Jane has been found," one of Louis' many advisors walked into the room, judging Louis' mood carefully.

"And what good would that do?" Louis spat, still feeling tense and on edge. Now that Jane had been found, he had to decide what to do with her.

"Kill the fire before it has time to burn. Tell them that she's crazy, gone insane," the advisor was nervous around Louis, scared of the man's volatile personality.

"Then it shall be done, let word go out that I will speak in the city square this evening. Try and get as many people to come, and tell the TV stations," Louis was a man of decisive plan making, and sent his advisor away so he could concentrate on his speech.

***

The crowd had gathered by the stage in the middle of the city square, all awaiting Louis' speech that had been heavily reported on across the nation. There had been rumours of Louis standing down from his position, but many knew these stories to be nothing but fiction.

Louis walked out, surrounded by bodyguards who were all carrying loaded guns in case of a rioter; the dictator was sweating slightly, worried that Jane's words had somehow affected the general public.

Standing up to his podium, Louis coughed slightly and placed his piece of paper in front of him that was covered in his messy handwriting.

"Thank you for coming out this evening, I have some important news," the crowd held their breath as Louis spoke, "Jane, my wife, has been found and after assessment from a psychologist it has been determined that she is clinically depressed and crazy. The doctor reckons that anything she has said in the last week has been completely fabricated from her imagination. At the minute she is in recovery, but is already making great progress."

Louis looked out to the faces of all those staring intently at him; he wondered if they could tell he was lying directly to them. He was one of the only people who knew that Jane was not at all mentally ill and she was simply sitting in a dark prison cell in his basement. But he had to diminish the chance of revolution, which meant lying to his people.

"Jane has apologized for misleading anyone and for spreading false information, she was not herself. With time, I'm sure she will return to her normal self. It is in times like this where we unite as a nation, to believe in our strength and not question what we have. We are the strongest, the greatest nation in the world. Thank you all for being so understanding, good night."

Louis walked off the stage to a chorus of cheers and clapping, but for once he did not bask in the attention and praise. All he could do was think about how he was going to deal with Jane.

Once back at the palace, Louis shrugged off his clothes and lay in bed, looking wistfully up at the mural painted on the ceiling. He hated lying to his people and, despite his cruel ways, he did care for his nation. Jane was a threat to everything he had worked so hard for, she was the poison to his plan.

Curling up his fists, he left his room and made his way down to the basement where Jane was. She had been given bread and soup, but that was all. As he entered the room, he noticed that Jane was simply staring at the brick wall, her eyes glazed over.

"When are you letting me out of here?" She asked, her voice hoarse from crying. She didn't even flinch when he approached her, she was too far gone to care.

"Never," he whispered, before blowing out the candle he held in his hand and walking away.

Short chapter sorry :/ just here to tell you that there are only two more chapters left!