4

Date:03.03.2063

Jane woke up to the morning sun seeping through the curtains of her canopy bed, and after rubbing her eyes she got out of her bed to explore the wardrobe which had been stocked of fine clothes. Gasping she let her hands trail over the expensive material of the multiple dresses that were at her disposal, they reminded her of the ones that she had seen multiple ladies wear while she was sweeping the streets. That life where she had lived in poverty seemed so far off from the reality which she had been forced into.

Settling on a dark blue dress that had silver beads on the bodice she began to put on the complicated outfit, her endeavor was stopped when some servant girls walked into her bedroom and took the dress away from her.

"We must dress you, Lady Jane," one of the small girls with long black hair said quietly and began to help Jane into the blue dress that she had chosen out.

The other servant girl waited until Jane was dressed and then guided the girl over to the chair where she proceeded to do Jane's hair with the up most expertise. The whole time, the new bride thought how strange the whole process was; she didn't understand why she needed some girls to dress her when she had been dressing herself since the age of two.

"The leader, your husband, wishes to take you for a walk in his gardens," one of the young girls piped up while applying make up to Jane's features. Neither of the girls could work out what made Jane so special that she had been chosen by Louis but neither questioned it, they had both been taught to keep their opinions to themselves.

"What is his reason?" Jane asked and both serving girls gasped, surprised by the new lady's behaviour.

"The leader does not need a reason to speak to anyone- especially not his loving wife!" The servant's voice grew higher as she spoke and Jane looked at her with a puzzled expression, she couldn't understand why Louis was treated with such loyalty from those that worked for him. Could they not see the evil behind the man? Even Jane, an onlooker, could see that there was something wrong with the man who was intent on waging war with every country!

***

Louis watched on as his wife walked towards him, followed by a gaggle of servants who he shooed off. Jane looked radiant in the sunlight and a dress, much better than he remembered.

"Hello Jane," Louis didn't know what to say except greet the lady who was walking beside him as they went into his garden.

"Hello Mr. Tomlinson," Jane replied wearily, feeling the awkwardness between them as they ventured into the beautiful garden. Spring was fast becoming summer and flowers poked out the soil, blossom appeared on trees and birds appeared again on branches, singing sweet melodies into mild air.

"The war in Egypt is not going well," Louis said aloud, and Jane found it hard to not pull a face when he mentioned the war. Her brother had been carted off to the one in Australia, he was never heard of again.

"Why do you remain fighting if your men are dying?" She asked quietly, trying not to aggravate the man.

"I believe in finishing what I start. If we take over Egypt it is just another country to add to the Empire- do you know how powerful we are in the world right now?" Louis had a sick smile on his face as he thought about the land he had conquered, he chose to ignore the amount of blood that had been spilt for that land.

"Why must we fight? Why can't be satisfied as a small island?" Jane couldn't understand the man's thinking, she couldn't grasp at what he was trying to achieve.

Louis stopped in the middle of the path and pinched the bridge of his nose, not only was his new wife someone who cried relentlessly but she was also defiant!

"You would not understand, you are a poor, uneducated girl who knows nothing!" He was shouting in her face, salvia landing on her powdered cheeks, "We fight, we conquer, we gain money. We kill those we don't want in the world. The scroungers. The gang members. The rebels. We keep those we need."

Jane was about to shout right back at her husband when a man appeared out the dense mass of trees, dragging a sack of vegetables. Louis smiled at the sight of his gardener who ,as well as being an excellent worker, was also extremely charming. The boy was not yet 20 yet he had captured the hearts of many of the servant girls as well as a few ladies who had passed through the house.

"Sir, the carrots are extremely good this year," the gardener looked up and to his surprise saw a lady beside his master, "Good morning, m'lady. What brings you here?"

Jane felt her knees go weak as the boy in front of her spoke, he was possibly the most gorgeous man she had ever seen. His hair was tied back into a bun at the back of his head and his shirt had been undone so that most of his torso was revealed. He had emerald eyes that held so much kindness that she wished she could stare at them for longer.

"This Harry, is my new wife- Jane," Louis looked over at the lady standing next to him with much regret, he knew that he shouldn't have chosen her as a bride, "Jane this is my hardworking gardener, Mr Harry Styles."

Harry took Jane's hand in his and left a faint kiss on it before departing from the pair, leaving them alone again. Jane didn't even notice that Louis had walked ahead of her, she was too engrossed in the man she had just met.

"Harry Styles, what a lovely name for such a beautiful man," Jane whispered to herself before running quickly to catch up with Louis' fast strides.