10

Date:06.03.2063

Darkness cloaked the palace on the day of the execution, grey clouds covered the sky and the wind howled in mourning. Jane wore the only black dress in her wardrobe and covered her face with a black veil, she couldn't believe that in a few shorts hours the only man she ever loved more than her father would be gone. She tried to convince herself that they could not have been deeply in love after three days but she never believed the lies she told herself. There was something so beautiful about the love they shared.

A servant took her down the stairs and out of the house to where the execution would take place, she had been told that hundreds were turning up to watch Harry being killed. She couldn't believe that people enjoyed watching someone loose their life. Jane had stopped crying, her tear ducts had dried up and all she could do was feel the unstoppable pain in her heart as she thought about her love dying.

***

The masses of people were crowded around the platform which held the blood of so many, they were excited to see the sight. They could call it sick fascination or boredum or whatever they wanted to call it, nothing could explain the hungry faces of the paupers who loved watching executions.

Harry was taken on the stage and Jane cried out from where she was sat, the sight of her poor baby was enough to make her heart split in two. Louis was sat next to her and he jabbed her knee, indicating that she stop making so much noise.

A black bag was placed over Harry's head and the executioner looked down at the man who he would murder, he couldn't feel pity otherwise he would have not been able to kill the boy who was not yet 20. The blade of the axe glinted in the sunlight and the spectators watched on with wide eyes as the executioner polished it.

Jane placed her hands over her eyes, but left a gap which she could look through; she wanted to be strong for Harry but she knew that the sight of his head rolling on the floor would make her vomit.

"Off with his head!" The audience chanted and the executioner raised his axe, Jane couldn't pretend like it wasn't going to happen anymore. It was right in front of her, Harry was going to die.

"I love you Jane, more than anything in this cruel world," Harry called out from under the black bag and the whole crowd turned to the girl who was sat next to Louis. Jane blew a kiss to him even though he could not see her, she knew that her love for him would be eternal.

The axe swiped through the air and cut through the boy's throat like a knife through butter. The crowd cheered but all Jane could do was stare at the scene in horror, it had really happened. She had expected someone to save Harry last minute. She had expected something to happen that delay the process. But it was all over in a matter of seconds.

"Help me, I can't breathe," Jane whispered out as her chest tightened and her vision turned blurry. Louis held his wife with a tight grip, hoping that she would not embarrass him again. Taking her to the car, he cursed as he wife sat next to him with her head on her lap. The pain in her heart was too much to bear, it consumed her.

***

When Louis and Jane had returned to the palace, Louis led the weeping lady back to her room. The dictator was disappointed in his wife who had been unable to keep her feelings secret, he didn't want anyone to feel pity for her.

"I'm locking you in your room, your incessant crying is annoying me," Louis said harshly and Jane looked up at the monster with cold eyes.

"I have just lost my soul mate because of you, so give me some slack," Jane shouted at him and Louis took a step back, surprised by her sudden outburst. Nobody spoke to him like that, nobody had ever dared in fear of the consequences.

"I am your love, your ONLY love. I am your husband!" Louis shouted at the woman in front of him, before slamming the door in her face and storming off angrily. He couldn't believe how disobedient his wife was, it shocked him.

Jane lay on her bed, clutching her duvet in her hands and crying into her pillow. She felt empty, like a hollow shell that no longer had purpose. Harry had given her a reason to enjoy being in the palace, he had given her unimaginable strength and without him there she felt weak.

She looked back at the past few days (it was crazy for her to think that it was only a matter of days since her life was turned upside down) and decided that her time with Harry had been the happiest moments of her life. Even though her life was shrouded in darkness, Harry had provided some light to help her through those times.

He was her comforter. Her lover. Her Angel. Now that he was gone, she wasn't sure how she would cope in a world that held so much sin that a pure girl like her stood no chance.

"I miss him already," she whispered to the empty room which reflected how she felt inside. It was cold, dark and full of sorrow.

She walked slowly over to her bathroom where the pair had confessed their love to each other only a couple of days before. Stroking the sides of the bath, she remembered how beautiful Harry had looked that day. His beauty was one of the things she would never forget about her angel; there was so much about Harry that she loved, so much that she would hold onto until her dying day where she would be reunited with him.