12

Date:07.03.2063

Liam, the cook, was walking idly through the corridors of the palace with a forlorn look on his face; there was a raincloud that hung over him as he trudged forward, beginning his day of hard work. He had lost a friend the day before, a best friend in fact. As much as he despised Louis, he knew that he would never speak out against the injustice the man dished out. Instead Liam knew that he would keep his head down and continue to prepare the food, making sure that he survived each day without finding himself under the executioner's axe.

But as the cook walked past Louis' room, he couldn't help overhear a loud conversation between his master and another slave. Usually Liam would have just ignored whatever he heard but there was something that made him want to listen in, there was desire that was raging inside him.

"Sir,Jane's servants would like to know what they should do today seeing as you have locked her away," the pathetic servant inside Louis' room spoke and Liam pressed his ear against the door in an attempt to hear.

"You can tell them that they won't have to deal with that hag for much longer, I am still deciding what to do with the bitch," there was a bitter tone to Louis' voice that came as a result of Jane's affair, he still couldn't believe that she had chosen another man over him.

"Sir, are you going to kill your wife?" Liam gasped loudly when the servant on the other side of the door spoke and he heard Louis' loud laugh echo round the room.

"That is exactly what I am planning to do," at those words Liam ran away from the door, feeling to sick to hear anymore.

The cook ran all the way into the garden where he could collect his thoughts, there was something about the fresh air that helped him calm down his ragged breathing. He knew that Louis was a cruel man, but he had never believed that the man would kill his own wife! Even that was a step too far for the man who had single handedly killed thousands of innocent men and woman.

"I don't know what I can do to help the poor girl," Liam whispered into the mild air that was rushing past him in a slight breeze, his words were swallowed by the gale quickly. The man stood helpless, there was nothing that the poor servant man could do. He was a lowly peasant in the eyes of many and had no power. But he wanted to held his deceased friend's love, he wanted to save the girl.

Slowly the man walked back into the house and directed himself to the bedroom of the young bride who was clueless of what her husband was planning. He had bargained with a servant, trading a loaf of bread for the key to Jane's room. Slowly he opened the door to reveal the young girl laying on her bed, looking disheveled with tears still streaming down her cheeks.

"Leave me good man, for I am too sad to speak," Jane whined at the uninvited visitor but Liam took no notice of the girl's cries and instead sat on her bed, holding her dainty hands in his calloused ones.

"Your Harry was a good friend of mine, and I feel it my duty to look after you now that he can't be here. I overheard you husband, my master, talk of killing you," Liam had sorrow in his voice as he watched the young lady before him crumble, the strong character that once inhabited her body was gone.

"I cannot die under his merciless hand, I will not die if it his bidding. How can I escape this fate?" Jane let her tears roll down despite the fact that it made her guest feel uncomfortable.

"We will plan something, but you must leave very soon. Run away to the woods where you may find an abandoned cabin," Liam hushed his voice as he heard footsteps outside Jane's bedroom, and he knew that he had to leave before he was found out, "I will come back here tonight and you will leave as night settles over the palace."

***

Jane sat in quiet reflection as she stared out the window, watching the wind whip through trees making leaves fall the ground in majestic displays. She knew in a few short hours she would truly face the world alone, she would have no one to show her the way. No one to direct her sail.

Independence wasn't something that came easily to the girl, she liked following the orders of others as it meant she knew that no failure could come upon her. But there was something so exciting about the prospect of an adventure. She didn't care that it could lead her onto a path that was filled with thorns and unkind eyes, or if she got so lost that darkness became her only friend; all she cared about was escaping her fate, and hopefully finding herself along the journey.

All her life Jane had never expected anything to happen to her that was particularly exciting, and yet there she was living in her own action movie. But dark times were rising, and that movie could turned to a nightmare at the flick of a switch.