25

Jane was curled in a ball on the floor, cradling her broken heart with all the strength she had left. The streaks from tears covered her cheeks and her eyes stared at the gloomy brick walls; her eyes had lost all the life from them, they used to be the colour of the ocean on a sunny day, but they had dulled.

"What is life?" She whispered; the effort of talking hurt her throat which was sore from screaming. From crying. From fighting.

She didn't even flinch when the door of the dungeon was wrenched open and angry footsteps chorused around her. Louis stormed over to her cell, adorning the same angry expression he seemed to permanently wear. The fiery, crimson light from the torch in his hand bounced off the walls of the room and landed on the unfortunate face of Jane who was refusing to acknowledge Louis' existence.

"Jane, you are not eating I've heard," Louis spat down at her like she was nothing more than a little child.

"I don't see the point if I am going to die anyway," she replied back, wincing as the words came out of her mouth- she knew her words would lead to some grave consequence.

"Why must you fight me? Why can't you just accept that this will be the way we live for the rest of our lives until death do us part," Louis sunk to the floor and placed his heavy head in his hands.  He was tired of fighting her, of ruining her and he was tired of the sinking feeling he got whenever he thought of her.

"Let me die so I can join the people I love," her words broke the cold silence in the air. Her heart wrenched as she thought of all the people she had lost in such a short time. Her mother. Her love.

Harry. She hadn't thought of him so much due to the chaos that swarmed around her, but she could still see his face as clear as day whenever she closed her eyes. He still looked just as beautiful in her dreams.

Grabbing the dagger off his belt, Louis chucked it to Jane through the bars of the cell and they both stared at the object with fascination until Jane spoke.

"Thank you," she whispered, "This is the only humane thing you have ever done."

And with those parting words, Louis left her to her own devices, closing the door on the girl who had caused him so many sleepless nights. He was following her will for once and he felt a pressure on his shoulders lifting.

Back in the cell, Jane grabbed the dagger hungrily and ran her fingers along the sharpened tip of the blade. Although the prospect scared her, the idea of finally ending the sorrow in her life was too tempting to resist.

"The hardest thing to do is the thing that is best for yourself," her voice was but a wisp of air, "Self sacrifice, following the crowd, helping others. But this is best for me, I have no place here on earth. And with that knowledge, I have made up my mind. "

Stabbing the dagger into her stomach, history seemed to repeat itself- for centuries before, Juliet did the same to meet her lover in heaven.

As the fragile body of the deceased Jane lay on the cold stone floor, her blood pouring into the cracks and crevices of the cell, peace fell over the palace. Louis' mind and conscience were cleared. And finally Jane was where she was supposed to be.

THE END

So this was a bitter sweet ending for me. I fell in love with the characters in this book as it progressed and this has been a completely new experience for me and has really challenged my descriptive skills. Thank you so much to everyone who has supported this book through its entirety- you have made this book amazing.

Thank you for reading :)