Chapter 2: Trying My Best

Clary was laying on her bed with her earphones on, flipping through a book, not really able to concentrate because of the music but feeling bored out of her mind. Suddenly she saw her door opening and looked up to see Jace standing behind it, leaning against the doorframe.

"Can't you knock?!" She asked, pulling her earphones out.

"I did, idiot. You have your earphones on." He pointed out.

"You know, what I said about you letting me know if you get lonely.. I really, really didn't mean it." She said with a smile.

"Trust me, it's not my pleasure to come face to face with you all the time. I was sent to come get you, princess." He explained. "The dinner's ready and you're not hearing a thing."

"Gee, tell them to send someone else if they want me down there fast." She said and got up. "I mean the insults and comments just take way too much time."

"Just shut up." He said and walked downstairs, her following.

"You don't need a jacket." Max told Clary who was already pulling it on after they had decided to go outside after dinner. "It's summer."

"Whatever, it's nice." She said and turned to him. "Ready?"

"I don't know, Sophia's upset." He replied and Clary frowned.

"Why is she upset?" She asked and Max shrugged. Clary walked to the front hall where Jace was sitting on the floor with Sophia who was crying. She looked so heartbreakingly sad, but then again, she was eight so it could be anything.

"What's the matter?" Clary asked and Jace looked up at her with a sigh.

"Sophia wants to wear her shoes that mom said she can't wear because they can't get dirty because they're her party shoes." He explained.

"I wanna wear the fancy shoes." Sophia said crying. "The princess shoes."

"You can't even run and play in them, Max was planning tag. Don't you wanna play?" Jace asked and Sophia shook her head and cried more. "What? You don't? Come on, put the sneakers on." Sophia shook her head again and cried, throwing the sneakers away.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, Jace, but you don't know a thing about girls." Clary told him and kneeled down, pushing him aside. "You know what those party shoes are for, Soph?" She nodded. "Yeah, well, your mom wants them to be neat for the party. I doubt you wanna go in dirty shoes either, right?" She nodded again. "So, how about this? I'm just asking. But if you wear the sneakers now, your fancy shoes will feel even more fancy on Sunday. I know that philosophy sucks but sometimes you have to go with it. But my point is that the sneakers are much better now if you wanna play now and then you can dress like a princess on Sunday. Besides, you think princesses don't wear sneakers? Cause they do. How else could they fight battles and go on all those adventures? You do wanna play now, right?"

Sophie looked down and nodded. "Tag."

"Exactly." Clary said and took her sneakers. "These are gonna make you so fast you'll beat Max completely."

Max laughed. "No way."

Sophia wiped her tears off her cheeks and smiled. "Yes way."

"Come on." Clary said, helping her put her shoes on. "You know how to tie them?"

She nodded. "I think so."

"Great." Clary said and watched as she tied them with only little difficulty.

"The other shoes have straps not shoelaces." Sophia mumbled.

"That's very cool." Clary replied. "I can't wait to see you wear them on Sunday."

Sophia smiled and stood up, turning to Max. "I'll race you to the mailbox."

"You'll lose." Max said and they both stormed out quickly.

Jace sighed and leaned against the wall behind them. "I worked on that for God knows how long. How did you do that?"

Clary laughed. "Like I said, you don't know a thing about girls."

He rolled his eyes but smiled. "Educate me."

"Well, she's a little girl, we're all drama queens that age." Clary explained.

"Yes, I remember you." Jace replied.

"Shut up." She said. "And you know, she didn't say she doesn't wanna play because she doesn't, she said it so she could wear the goddamn shoes and after saying some right things, she admits she wants to play and puts the sneakers on. And it might've had something to do with the fact I'm not her older brother telling her what to do."

He laughed. "I'll never understand kids."

"Maybe you shouldn't have your own if you can't even put shoes on them." She suggested with a laugh as she got up. "Besides, if your offspring is like you.. Yeesh."

"Go play tag with the other kids." He told her and she crossed her arms over her chest.

"You're two years older than me!"

"And you're 18!"

"You suck."

"So do you."

She stuck her tongue out at him before walking out of the door.

"Wait." He said then and she turned around. "What happens on Sunday?"

She rolled her eyes. "Some beginning of the summer party arranged by some people our parents know. We're going apparently."

"Well, crap." He said and she smiled.

"Tell me about it."

AN: Sorry it's such a short and boring chapter, I'll post a new one ASAP. Lots of love to you guys xx