Chapter 7: Bad Words

The next morning Clary walked downstairs, bumping into Jace and let out something between a growl and a groan. "Watch we're you're going." She snapped.

"Don't talk to me until you've had your coffee." He replied as he went up the stairs.

"Piss off." She mumbled.

"I would but I'm being held here against my will." He just said.

"Not by me, trust me." She replied.

"Oh, I know. Get over yourself." He said and she scowled.

"I don't know what is it about you and my so called big ego when it's you who's an arrogant ass." She pointed out.

He rolled his eyes. "You get very defensive over your ego, you know? I didn't even mention it."

She groaned. "You're such a prick."

"Oh, you came up with something else than a jackass or an asshole for a change." He said with a smile.

"Leave me alone!" She said as she walked to the kitchen.

"With pleasure!" He replied.

Apparently last night hadn't changed much after all.

"Good morning." She told the others with a sarcastic tone.

"What's a prick?" Sophia asked and Clary froze as she was taking a coffee mug.

"I'm sorry." She mouthed to the parents who were scowling at her.

"It's pretty much the same as a dick." Max said and Sophia giggled.

"Max!" Jocelyn said strictly.

"It means like a jerk." Max said and Jocelyn sighed.

"That's enough." Valentine said. "Clary just said a bad word."

"I'm sorry." Clary said out loud this time. "That was immature and stupid."

Sophia was just laughing. "Jace is a dick."

"Excuse me?" Jace asked as he walked to the front hall past the kitchen.

"Sophia, don't say that." Celiné said. "That's not nice at all."

"What did I do?" Jace asked as he walked back to them. "And where the hell-.. I mean where did you come up with that?" Clary snorted and he glared at her.

"You both need to fix your language." Celiné said.

"You?" Jace asked from Clary. "Nice going, idiot."

"Language, remember?" Clary asked him.

"It's not a bad word, it's a stupid person." Jace replied with a smile.

"You wish you were as smart as me, jack-..." She sighed and he laughed.

"Actually, it's Jace." He said and she pretened to throw her coffee mug at him.

"I'm just gonna go now." Jace said, walking to the front hall.

"Where are you off to?" Stephen asked him.

"Running." He replied and the door slammed shut after him.

"I wanna run too!" Max said and got up already.

"Me too!" Sophia replied and they stormed to the hall to pull their shoes on.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes. "Hey, maybe you should-..." The door slammed shut already. "Change out of your PJs..."

Clary laughed. "We're in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't matter." She said as she poured herself some coffee.

"Seriously, Clary." Jocelyn said then. "No that kind of talk with the kids."

"I didn't know you could hear us!" She argued.

"No that kind of talk at all." Jocelyn told her. "Okay?"

"Yeah, okay." Clary said and sat down. "Tell that to Jace too."

"Of course." Jocelyn said. "But you both need to stop attacking each other every time you get the opportunity. We're tired of it and it's not nice for Sophia and Max to hear that all the time and-..."

Clary's phone buzzed in her pocket and she took it out. "Oh, it's Marcus! I gotta answer." She said and Jocelyn scowled.

"Clary-..."

"I'll be right back and then you can preach all you want, okay?" She asked.

"It's okay, I don't need to preach." Jocelyn said. "As long as you understand the situation and maybe apologize Jace for calling him a prick and teaching his sister that." Clary couldn't help laughing but stopped it quickly.

"What? He called me an idiot."

"And he should apologize too." Celiné added. "You don't have to be beating him all the time, you can try to take the highroad."

"Yeah, I'm not good at it." Clary said and her phone stopped buzzing. "Oh, great. I gotta call him back."

"Call him after you've finished your breakfast, okay?" Valentine suggested.

"Okay." Clary said with a sigh and sat back down. "You know, I will take the highroad and I'll apologize to him, but I know he won't do the same. He'll make a joke about it, teasing me or he'll think I'm plotting something against him because we all know that apologizing for calling him a prick is not something I would normally do."

Stephen laughed and shook his head. "Just try and work it out."

"It's been like five years." Clary replied. "You don't work it out just like that."

"Take baby steps then." He suggested.

AN: Sorry for the short chapter! Highroad.. We'll see. Anyway, hope you're enjoying this. X