Chapter 8: Highroad

After breakfast Clary was sitting on the kitchen counter, talking to Marcus and God knows how much time had passed already.

"You wanna.. Meet up at some point?" He asked and she smiled.

"Yeah, definitely." She replied. "The problem just happens to be that I'm gonna be stuck here with my family the whole summer.. But I mean I bet you would be welcome if I invited you to dinner someday. And it's really beautiful here."

He laughed. "Sounds great. As long as I'm really welcomed to come."

"Of course." She said. "I'll just ask when and let you know."

"Great." He said. "I'm really looking forward to seeing you again, you know?"

She smiled, feeling herself blushing. "So am I. I mean seeing you. I'm kinda stuck with myself all the time."

He laughed. "Yeah, got it."

"God, I feel like I'm totally awkward all the time." She said with a sigh.

"You're really not." He replied. "Besides, when you are it's just cute and funny."

She snorted. "I highly doubt that." She heard the frontdoor opening and closing. Here it goes. "Jace?" There was no answer.

"Huh?" Marcus asked.

"Nothing." She just said. "So, are you home for the summer?"

"Mostly." He replied. "Few trips with family or friends here or there."

"I'm jealous." She said with a sigh.

"Don't be, I bet it's nice to spend some family time too." He pointed out. "It might do good."

She snorted. "Yeah, especially this morning was amazing."

He laughed. "Yeah, well.. Whole summer with parents..."

"Yeah." She said as Jace walked into the kitchen, his hoodie pulled up, his hair falling messily on his face and his earphones on. No wonder he didn't hear her.

"But maybe you'll appreciate it once you leave for college." Marcus said and she laughed.

"This lockdown? I doubt that."

Jace frowned at her for sitting on the counter as he took a glass and poured himself water.

"Well, I'll come and keep you company at some point." He said and she grinned.

"Yes, please." She said and quickly grabbed Jace's arm who was about to walk away.

He pulled his earphones off. "What the hell?"

"Just wait." She told him.

"What?" Marcus asked.

"No, not you." Clary said with a laugh. "I'm-.. Jace!" She hissed as he pulled himself free.

"What? I don't have all day." He said with a smile. And she had to apologize? Okay, she was taking the highroad.

She sighed. "I'll call you back soon, okay?"

"Okay." Marcus said.

"Sorry, I just.. Gotta deal with something." She scowled at Jace who rolled his eyes.

"It's okay. I'll talk to you later." He said and she smiled.

"Yeah, talk to you later. Bye." She said before hanging up and turned to Jace. "You just couldn't wait for couple minutes?"

"You just can't use a chair?" He asked instead and she scowled.

"You just can't act like a-..." She stopped herself, reminding herself what she was doing. "Look, I wanted to talk to you."

"Thank God, I thought you were not letting me shower just to annoy me." He said and she told herself not to slap him.

"Okay, hear me out." She just said. "I wanted to apologize for earlier. For calling you a prick and for snapping so easily and for.. Teaching Sophia to call you that."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "What?"

She sighed. "I'm apologizing, okay? Creating peace."

He crossed his arms over his chest. "You've never been about creating peace, that's for sure. What's up?"

She rolled her eyes. "Well, now I am."

"Wait." He laughed. "The others made you do this, didn't they?"

"Well.. Fine, they asked me to." She just said with a shrug.

"I knew it." He said. "You would never just apologize."

"But I did!" Clary argued. "That's why they asked me and not you, because I'm the bigger person."

"Yeah, sure." He said and walked out. "Probably didn't have anything to do with the fact I wasn't here."

"Ugh! Leave more often! That would be nice!" She yelled after him.

"Nice apology, princess!" He replied.

"Well, you didn't even try!" She argued.

"Can't hear you!" He yelled and she groaned in frustration. Thank God the others were out so they didn't hear her fail. Not that he had made it somehow easy.

That's it for taking the highroad. She thought. At least I tried.

AN: Things will get better.. I promise to post longer chapters at some point, okay?🙈

Read, vote, comment, follow❤️