Chapter 23: Gossip

"Hey, Clary." Jocelyn said as Clary was talking to the kids who were bored out of their minds and wanted to go outside but couldn't.

"What?" Clary asked.

"Celiné wanted to talk to me so if you could help out with the kitchen quickly?"

"Sure." Clary said. "I'm just not very good at it."

"I can help." Kaelie who had apparently heard them offered. "I'm actually a waiter, maybe I can be handy."

"Sounds good. Let's go." Clary said and they walked down the hall. "I bet you're useful because I'm way too clumsy."

"Well, now that you said that I'll probably be the one to screw something up." Kaelie said and they both laughed.

"We'll be fine." Clary said as they walked into the kitchen.

"So.. What should we do?" Kaelie asked and Clary looked around.

"If I fill up the drinks, could you fill up the foods?" She asked.

"Sure." Kaelie said and started filling up the bowls and plates with more food. "Your family's really close with Jace's, right?"

"Um, yeah." Clary said as she took bottles of water, juice, soda and wine from the fridge. "Our parents have known each other since they were in college."

"Nice." Kaelie said. "I met Jace and the others in college. I knew Seb already."

"Oh, cool." Clary said. "So you're all in the same college?"

"Yep." Kaelie replied. "Where are you?"

"Oh, well, I just graduated." Clary said. "But I'm going to Brooklyn Academy of Art after summer."

"That sounds cool, you're an artist?" Kaelie asked and Clary laughed.

"Well, yeah."

"Well, you must be a good one to get into that school." Kaelie said with a grin and Clary just shrugged but smiled. "So, you guys will be here the whole summer?"

"So it seems." Clary replied.

"But this seems like a nice place." Kaelie observed. "And definitely nice people! You know, I think I've been flirting with Jace since I first met him! He hasn't exactly noticed." She laughed and Clary wasn't sure how to react. Kaelie obviously didn't know about their relationship and now it would feel weird to just go 'Oh, I'm his girlfriend by the way.'

"Yeah." Clary said with an awkward laugh.

Kaelie grinned. "Suddenly we're 14, gossiping about the gorgeous guy."

"Right." Clary said, again sounding like an awkward idiot.

"Seb is probably my best friend, so I rarely get to have a girl talk." Kaelie said laughing.

"I need air." Jace complained as he walked into the kitchen. "What?" He asked as he noticed the awkwardness. Probably just Clary though, Kaelie didn't seem awkward.

"Nothing." She said laughing. "We might've just been talking about you."

"Oh, really?" Jace asked. "What about me?"

"Nothing, just can't believe you're 21." Kaelie said with a smile.

"Why? Because I'm so mature?" Jace asked with a sarcastic tone.

"Sure." Kaelie said with a laugh and Jace rolled his eyes but smiled.

"It's so hot in here." He repeated.

"Are you being circled in there?" Kaelie asked. "Cause that's what birthdays are like."

"Ugh, I know." Jace said with a sigh. "I'm just gonna let them entertain themselves for a while."