Chapter 17: Situations

"Let's play tag!" Sophia suggested.

"Not the normal one." Max replied. "Something like X tag."

"What's X tag?" Isabelle asked.

"If the tag catches you, you stand in an X position until someone else crawls between your legs and you're free." Max explained.

"Yeah, we're not doing that." Clary said.

"Why not?" Sophia asked.

"Because the three of us can't fit through the two of your legs, Einstein." Isabelle replied.

"Einstean?" Sophia frowned.

"Figure out another one." Jace just said.

"Um.. Statue tag?" Sophia suggested.

"What's that like then?" Isabelle asked.

"You don't know statue tag?" Clary asked. "I'm disappointed."

"When you get caught, you freeze in the position you were in until someone else touches you and you can move again." Sophia told her.

"Oh, cool." Isabelle just said. "Who's the tag?"

"I can." Clary replied and Max and Sophia ran away from her. Clary slapped her friend. "Tag."

Isabelle rolled her eyes. "I wasn't rea-..."

"Tag!" Clary repeated as she ran away.

Clary was outlining a drawing in her sketchbook and glanced at Isabelle who had fallen asleep on the bed. Apparently tag took a lot of energy out of her.

Eventually Clary got up, leaving her sketchbook on the desk and walked across the hall to Jace's door, knocking on it.

"I'm here!" His voice replied from downstairs.

"Psh! I wasn't looking for you!" She said as she walked down the stairs. "I was knocking on.. The bathroom door."

"Okay, makes sense." He just said and she walked into the livingroom where he was sitting on the couch and reading a book.

"Hey." She said, making him look up from the book.

"Hey." He repeated with a smile. "What's up?"

"Not much. Izzy fell asleep." She replied and took his book, putting it on the table and sat down on his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck.

He laughed. "So you took the chance to sneak off?"

She grinned. "Kinda, yeah." She leaned down to kiss him and he pulled her closer, kissing her back. She bit down on his lip and soon her back was against the couch. She pulled him closer, her hand sliding down his back, scratching the fabric of his t-shirt and finding the waistband of his jeans and his belt, curling her fingers around one of the beltloops.

"If our parents decide to come now..." She mumbled.

"They're perfectly occupied by their tea moment in the porch. Maybe they think they're british or something." He replied. "Besides, we would hear the frontdoor."

"True." She said with a small laugh.

"Oh?" They heard a voice and turned to see their siblings at the end of the stairs. Clary tried to jump up so fast she banged her head against Jace's who groaned but stood up quickly. She had no idea what to say and the kids were both just staring too.

"What's up?" Jace asked, resting his hands on his hips.

"We were hungry." Sophia said then.

"Well, come on." Jace said and walked to the kitchen. "I'll make you some snacks." The kids followed him and Clary sighed. He was right, she kinda made everything a big deal. This wasn't a big deal, acting normally was the best way to handle it. She had just panicked like an idiot, thank God that Jace had some discretion.

"Are you gonna freak out again?" Jace asked as he walked into his room where Clary had gone not to disturb her sleeping friend on her bed.

"No." She mumbled, crossing her legs in front of her, sitting on his bed. "I know I freak out easily, that was another example. Sorry."

He laughed and sat down next to her. "You don't have to apologize, we're all different and above all your reactions are amusing." He said, wrapping his arm around her and kissing her forehead. "Though because of that amusing reaction I'll have a blackeye but oh well, I've had worse."

"Oh, did I hit you hard?" She asked, taking his face in her hands but he took her hands.

"I'm fine. Just kidding." He said, kissing her forehead and she smiled but rolled her eyes.

"I just..." She sighed. "No offense but I really wish I wouldn't be in love with a family friend."

He laughed. "I get it. Me too. Trust me, the easiest thing would be if my girlfriend never had to meet my family, but here we are. All living together like a big, happy family."

"At least big." She mumbled.

"Focus on the positive things." He said and she grinned.

"Like the pretty boy in front of me right now?"

"It's official, you're the sap." He said and got up but she laughed and pulled him back.