Chapter 16: Moving Forward

"Calm down." Isabelle said as Clary paced back and forth across the floor while Isabelle and Jace were sitting on her bed.

"That was so embarrassing." Clary said, burying her hands into her hair.

"They were just kidding." Jace said. "They kinda wanted to make us uncomfortable, that was the humor in it."

"I wasn't laughing! Did you notice?" She snapped and he just looked at her. She sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Just take it easy, everything's fine." He said and reached up to take her hands in his. "They could've been a lot worse, you know? If they had been serious about it for an example."

Clary scowled. "It was still awkward. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if my dad came up to check on us. And I don't think my mom was kidding about the nightly visiting."

"Oh, no. What if I see a nightmare?" Jace asked with a sarcastic tone.

Clary let go of his hands and crossed her arms over her chest. "Are you taking this seriously at all?"

"I honestly don't see what's so horrible." He said with a laugh. "Our parents will always be our parents and their life job is to embarrass us. You will always be you which means you're gonna turn this into a big deal which it isn't because you're not good at letting things go. But I'll always love you, even that psycho side, and right now I just feel really lucky."

She sighed and smiled slightly. "You have a way with words, you know? For an example you made calling me a psycho sound somehow cute or romantic."

"It's a talent, really." Jace said and pulled her next to him on the bed. "Just take it easy."

She nodded and turned to him with a smile. "You know I feel really lucky too."

"Puke." Isabelle mumbled.

"Shut up." Clary told her.

"I slept so well." Isabelle said with a smile as she and Clary walked down the stairs the next morning.

"Because you took the whole bed and I ended up sleeping on the floor." Clary said, trying to massage her own shoulders. "You know, if I'm not allowed in Jace's room during the night, my parents just have to take me to their bed because I'm not sleeping with you."

"Sorry!" Isabelle said as they walked into the kitchen, the adults must've gone out with the kids since it was empty.

"Oh, look who decided to wake up." Clary said with a smile as Jace walked into the kitchen. "It's the Sleeping Beauty after 100 years."

"Very funny." Jace replied. "What are you doing?"

"Making coffee." Clary said. "While Izzy is 'taking in some fresh air' on the porch. She's been living in the city her whole life, this is new to her."

"Okay." Jace said with a laugh. "Are your shoulders sore?"

"Killing me, I slept on the floor because Izzy likes to kick." She replied with a smile. "Why?"

"You're tensing them." He explained and she rolled her eyes.

"What? You read people?"

"Just observed." He replied and stepped behind her, slowly massaging her sore shoulders and she sighed.

"That's great." She said and he kissed her neck.

"You're great."

She grinned as she clicked the coffeemaker on. "When did you become such a sap?"

"What's wrong with it?" He asked with a laugh and she turned around to face him.

"Nothing, just not used to you acting like it." She said, wrapping her arms around his waist. "But you're cute." She reached up to kiss him quickly. "And your bed hair is kinda sexy."

He laughed. "Gee, when did you become such a sap?"

"Oh, shut up." She said with a laugh.

They heard the frontdoor opening. "It's such a beautiful morning!" Isabelle yelled before closing it. "I've never seen anything like it!"

"City girl. Told ya." Clary mumbled to Jace. "I know! It's beautiful!" She replied to her friend who walked into the kitchen.

"Is the coffee ready?" Isabelle asked. "Oh, morning."

"Morning." Jace replied.

"Almost." Clary said, glancing at the coffee pot.

"Where's everyone else?" Jace asked and Clary shrugged.

"I'm guessing out."

"I need coffee." Isabelle said yawning.

Clary rolled her eyes. "We all do so stop complaining before I smash the pot to your head."

"Then you'd just spill all the coffee." Isabelle pointed out.

Clary smiled. "But I would have the satisfaction of doing it to last until I made new one."

"Cruel." Isabelle mumbled.

"Oh, coffee's ready!" Clary observed.

AN: Boring and short, I know. Sorry. And also sorry it took pretty long to update. I just feel like this story is a total failure. It doesn't have even close to the amount of readers my others stories have had so I'm curious if there's any people who actually follow this and want more😂