16.

"You have been smiling a lot," Chan noticed when he sat next to Julienne in class again.

Her face was almost glowing, and she couldn't get this small smile off her face. It was if it couldn't have been removed, she looked like an overjoyed child. 

She was an overjoyed child. Every time she was at Myung's, Julienne went upstairs first to talk with Wonwoo for a while. They'd sit on his couch, and he would give her a cup of water and they would talk about their plans and homework and other things. This happened about four times before the two finally exchanged numbers last week.

"I'm happy, that's all," Julienne shrugged, acting as if it was no big deal.

In reality, thinking of Wonwoo made her legs weak and her blood pressure rise. His voice always pulled her in and he was sweet. When she thinks of him, her mood suddenly gets better and she's grinning from ear to ear.

"We haven't really...spoken, Julienne," Chan announced softly, looking into Julienne's eyes, "and I miss going to the coffee shop with you a lot, or you helping me in English."

"I'm sorry," Julienne sighed, "I didn't think you'd miss me so much."

"You're one of my best friends now, Julie," Chan mentioned, "I worry when I don't speak with you." 

It hurt Chan, more than anything, to hear that Julie was happy. It wasn't because he was a heartless person, but because he knew that he wasn't the person making Julienne happy. He didn't want to tell her he cared so much because he liked her, but he wanted her to know that he did miss talking with her regularly.

"C-Chan," Julienne said, honestly surprised, "I didn't know you cared so much. I'm sorry." 

"I'm sorry that I care too much b-"

"No," Julienne put her hand on his hand, "it's okay. I've been avoiding you a lot, I'm sorry. You're a great friend, and I made you feel bad. Let's go to the coffee shop today, okay? Then, maybe to my house if you want."

Chan's cheeks changed color as he looked at the table. "Okay.."

Julie opened her bag and pulled out the Michael Jackson CD, which was still in perfect condition. "Here, I finished listening to it. You can have it back now."

Chan stared down at the CD, then back at Julienne. "You can kee-"

"Take it. Now."

"Okay."

  ♡ 

Seven o' clock comes around and Chan and Julienne find themselves in her home, sitting on the couch watching Rush Hour. Julienne is laughing loudly, her hand over her face as she watches Chris Tucker dance with Jackie Chan outside their steak out location.

Chan is no longer focused on the movie, but on Julienne's laughter. Although she's always happy, he doesn't really hear her laughing as hard as she is now. It made him smile, too, seeing her so happy.

Julienne's phone buzzed next to her thigh, and she glanced at the screen, before picking it up and rushing off into her bedroom for a minute, leaving Chan on the couch. He awkwardly sat there as Mr. Augustin came through the front door, well dressed.

"Hello, Chan," He smiled, speaking to him in Korean, "where's Julienne?"

"She got up about a minute ago to answer the pho-"

Julienne rushed back into the room, greeting her father before sitting on the couch, her phone in between her and Chan. Mr. Augustin walks past the living room into his bedroom to change out of his uncomfortable clothes.

"Sorry about that," Julienne apologized, "I had to answer."

"Who was it?"

"Myung," Julienne lied, "she was telling me something."

Julienne wasn't ready to tell Chan about she and Wonwoo talking. It was something she didn't feel like exposing to him, since it meant letting him know what Wonwoo and her was. Honestly, she didn't know what they were; they texted and talked and watched movies at his home like friends, but she always felt this slight tension between them.

"Oh," Chan sighed, "is she okay?"

"Yes," Julienne grinned, "don't worry, she's fine."

"Julienne!" Her father called from the bedroom, "my shirt is on top of the washing machine, can you go and bring it to me please?"

Julienne groaned, getting up from the couch. Her phone was pushed towards Chan, and she didn't even notice she left it there. When she had entered the hallway, Chan, curious, pressed the home button on her phone just to see what was on it.

[2 messages]

wonwoo : I'll see you tomorrow at seven, then.

wonwoo: i can't wait to see you again :-)

Chan's eyes widened as he turned off her phone and stood up as Julienne walked into the living room.

"What's up?" Julienne asked, "Why are you standing?"

Chan's breathing had accelerated and his heart rate was unbelievably fast. Standing there in the room with Julienne wasn't making his situation good at all, he felt his face burning and the palms of his hands become sweaty.

"I-I need to go," Chan stuttered.

Before Julienne could ask if he was alright, Chan opened the door and ran out, rushing to Hansol's home.

"I don't make her happy, Wonwoo makes her happy."