Prologue

Xael took a heavy breath at the intimidating doorway as the face chiseled into the stone began to rumble. The eye-holes glowed, scanning over her curvaceous body before deciding that she wasn't a threat and allowing her entry to the massive tower.

But as soon as she stepped inside, she was overwhelmed with the bustling, busy atmosphere that flooded the European Branch. While she felt like an outsider, she seemed to blend in due to her newly fashioned uniform, adorned with the red trims and Cross symbol symbolizing her status as an Exorcist.

Still, she prayed that someone would realize that she had no idea what she was doing or where to go.

Luckily, her obvious confusion was noted as two girls around her age approached her with welcoming smiles as they giggled amongst each other. One of them had a slender figure with long, strong-looking legs and shoulder-length dark hair. The other was slightly shorter with a brunette ponytail and more curvaceous figure.

The girl's expression must have brightened when she was sure that the two locals were coming towards her.

"Are you Xael Lia?" The taller girl asked with a friendly grin. "We've been expecting you."

"Um, yes." Xael nodded with wide brown eyes.

"Nice to meet you!" Zion chimed, her smile equally as inviting. "I'm Zion. Zion Anastasia, and this is Lenalee Lee. We're probably the best people to know here." She winked playfully.

The other girl -- Lenalee -- released a laugh. "I wish I could say otherwise, but it's kind of true." Then, she turned to her friend and instructed, "I'm going to find Kanda and Lavi and bring them to Komui's office. You should take Xael there, now."

The brunette responded with a nod as Lenalee rushed off. "Alright Xael, I guess I should warn you. Chief Komui's office is kind of messy."

"Ah, really? With his responsibilities I'd think he was neat and tidy."

Zion raised a thin brow at the shorter girl. "You know about his responsibilities?"

"Oh, yeah." Xael tried her best to watch what she said. She didn't want to seem over-confident, but she also wanted to appear smart and educated. "I'm from Central. I've been training there for a while, so with Chief Komui's duties I hear a lot about him and the European Branch. Apparently, this is the place for an Exorcist to be." She finished with a hum.

"That it is." The brunette agreed. "Oh -- the two guys that Lenalee went to get -- I guess I should warn you about them, too."

"That sounds a little bit concerning."

"Well, first of all, there's Lavi. He's just a bit obnoxious, but don't let him get to you. He's almost never serious about what he says. Yet, he's still a genuine person underneath all that mess." She rolled her hazel-colored eyes, but still spoke with a grin. "The other one is Kanda." She paused for a sigh. "He's just someone who you may or may not get used to. He's cold-hearted and rude, and kind of a horrible person. Just don't let his cruelty get to you, even though he does kind of mean it."

"What are you saying about me?" A low voice grumbled, interrupting their conversation as a strong hand was placed on top of her head.

Zion blinked for a second and then tilted her head upward, finding cold, steely eyes staring down at her. "Am I your armrest now?" She asked sarcastically, raising a thin brow.

The man with sleek, dark hair snorted with a smirk. "Maybe. You're the perfect height for it."

"Rude." She huffed, Xael sitting by idly as she watched their interaction.

"You love it." He leaned over and planted a kiss on the top of her head before letting go of her.

A pout stretched over the brunette's lips. "Shut up."

Deeming himself victorious, the taller man released a huff of a laugh.

Still frustrated, Zion turned back to the new Exorcist, and gestured to her "friend" with her thumb. "That's Kanda. He's also my boyfriend."

Xael released a short, uncomfortable laugh. "I can see that." She wondered about why Zion had explained the young man in such a negative way, but still happened to be romantically involved with him. Either way, it wasn't something she could understand having barely known them. So, she shook her head and disregarded her confusion.

"Kanda, this is Xael Lia. She'll be joining us on our next mission." The taller girl explained.

Xael beamed and held out her hand for Kanda to shake. "Nice to meet you."

The man looked at her and grunted. He acknowledged her, but offered no welcome or introduction before he stalked off towards Komui's office. He slowed down slightly to make sure the girls were following as well.

"Sorry about him." Zion chuckled. "I know he's rude."

"Well, at least you're friendly."

"I'm glad."

When the three arrived at Komui's office, the fourth team-mate had yet to join them. The Chief frantically searched through the many papers sprawled across his desk and floor. Clearly, Xael was astonished by how unorganized he was as she surveyed the messy room with wide eyes.

"Lavi isn't here, yet?" Komui observed behind stacks of files.

"To be expected." Zion commented nonchalantly, clearly not surprised by their companion's lack of presence.

"While we're waiting, I'll go ahead and explain your mission. Ms. Lia is a fairly new Exorcist from Central, so I would like her first mission to be with you experienced Exorcists."

Shock was obvious on Zion's face as she heard that this mission would be Xael's first. Not to mention that she had to work with two of the hardest people to team up with in the entire European Branch.

"We have reports of increased Akuma activity in New Zealand, enough to suspect that there may be a town or area that is practically a breeding ground. You three, plus Lavi, need to figure it out and put an end to it before it gets anymore out of control.

"Transportation and hotel arrangements have already been made. You will have to take a train to the Asian Branch, and from there, you will take a several-day long trip on a boat to northern New Zealand." Komui explained as if he was reading off of a list of facts he needed to inform them. Which, most likely he was reading off of a list that Lenalee created for him.

Kanda was clearly not looking forward to their trip after hearing of it. After all, he was stuck in small spaces for almost a month with one person who drove him crazy, one person he was always with, and another he barely knew.

"And, since this is a longer mission, I'm appointing Zion as your team leader. Don't do anything without her approval." The Chief added.

The brunette girl cheered quietly, feeling elated with the responsibility she was given, and knowing it would come in handy when dealing with both Kanda and Lavi.

"You'll head out for the train in three hours, so get packing and ready to go."

Zion opened her mouth to respond, but before she was able to say anything, someone piped behind the three of them, "Aye, aye!"

Clearly not expecting anyone else in the room, the three Exorcists turned to the source of the voice. A man with tousled red hair covering one eye that was already shielded by an eye-patch stood in the doorway, lazily leaning on the wooden frame. He was tall, even taller than Kanda, and his mischievous, cheeky grin was even reflected in his emerald green eye.

Xael's first thoughts were, 'He's so handsome...'

But, once the young man's bright eye lay on the dark-haired girl's round face and curvaceous body, his lips curved into a wider, silly smile as his eyes turned up bemusedly. A different, off-setting atmosphere surrounded him, causing Zion and Kanda to become tense before his outburst.

"Strike!"