Chapter 1 : The Move

"Anak, did you pack up your things already?" a man's voice reverberated from the kitchen. RJ lay hunched on the couch in the living room, flipping through channels in the television.

He could hear his dad very clearly, but he was in no mood to answer back.
'Boring' Click 'Next' Click 'Eto nanaman?' Click.

The raven haired boy grunted, he had been sitting there for the past hour, staring blankly at the screen. RJ had grown accustomed to such rituals every Thursday, eyes planted on the television screen after dinner flipping through channels, not staying at one for more then a minute. For some reason, he found comfort in that habit.
'Ugh, boring' Click 'Weather channel.... don't care' Click 'Next' Click.

All of a sudden the television turned black, RJ turned his gaze to the source of such mishap. It was his dad whom had pressed the off button on the T.V, glaring at RJ.

"Richard are you gonna answer me or not?" he yelled as he gave his son a piercing gaze

The boy sighed before replying "Sumagot na ako diba?, geez chill"

His father's face turned red at the answer "Alam ko galit ka sakin for making you move in with your Tito, but how dare you answer me in that tone!" he cried.

RJ cringed at the sight of his father as he turned his eyes away from the furious man. "Look here, I'm doing this for your own good" his father spat. The raven haired boy balled his fists, he couldn't contain it anymore

"My good? O para sa inyo? You've always wanted to make my life miserable... well you know what, mission accomplished" he clenched his jaws as he tried to hold back his tears

"RJ what are you talking about? Everything I do is for your benefit"

The boy stood up from the couch as he slammed the center table "Lies! You knew before I never wanted to move to this city, but yet we still moved... not for me, but for you! You and your fucking job dad. I miss my old friends, I miss our old house, I miss my old life" RJ's father was fuming now

"How dare you bring that up again, we've been here for three years and your still not over that?"

RJ snarled as he stared at his father "Whatever dad, I'm gonna be moving YET AGAIN to ANOTHER town tomorrow. Wow, your so eager to see me go away. Well if that's what you wanted, you could've said that to me earlier"

The father shook his head, he was trembling with anger and frustration "You just don't understand do you? This is for your own good"

The raven haired boy screamed "Stop with all your selfless bullshit. I'm was gonna graduate this year dad, and now I have to re-adjust to a new school. How is that for MY OWN GOOD?!?"

RJ could see his dad hold back for a second and then retaliate with something he never saw coming

"Graduate? you wish you could graduate this year. All you seem to do is hang out with bad company, and go to party's every night and get drunk. You'd be lucky enough to pass your courses-" he gasped, as if stunned by what he was saying to his own son. A tear trickled down his cheek "Son, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that... but I wish you could see from my point of view. You need a new life, new friends, a new perspective... and this city... nor I, can give it to you"

RJ turned his back, as he made his way upstairs. "Someday you'll thank me" his dad whispered before silence filled the living room.

***********

"Uy, tingnan mo to" she cried as she turned to the individual beside her.
A dry leaf fell from the old tree above them and situated itself on the palm of the girl's hand.