Chapter 25: The Paper Airplane Miracle

...Miracles are all up to us, it's what we make of it...

*****************************
(FLASHBACK)

She didn't know why it was, that one kind of dark can be so different from another. Real dark is thicker and quieter, it fills up the space between yourself and your heart. It gets in your eyes. When you stand still in the black abyss, it's then you know you were there on sufferance. The dark only lets you take one step at a time. Step and the blackness closes round your back. In front, there is no space for you until you take it.

Darkness is absolute.

Walking in the dark is like swimming underwater except you can't come up for air.

Louise drove, to a destination only she knew where. The girl couldn't handle the atmosphere the hospital gave off, she needed a breather, she needed time to think. It seemed as if she was slowly suffocating inside the building, gasping for surcease like a fish out of water. She remembered her best friend's desperate plea for a miracle as RJ shot paper airplanes one after another. She remembered Maine weak smile and overflowing love.

The letter proved too much for her. She thought that she couldn't possible let out anymore tears before reading it, but then again, she thought wrong. The salted ocean flowed down her cheeks, staining her shirt and blurring her vision.

Louise turned around a curb, hands firmly gripping the steering wheel as she thought of only one place. The place that would solve everything for everyone, the place where past and future collide, the place where she'd find new meaning to her life and... heart.

Soundtrack: Snow Patrol – Run [Play for a better reading experience]

"Mr.Mendoza, I want you to give this to Maine and RJ" Louise voiced with a smile as she handed him a journal. "What is this for?" He asked questioningly as he leaned against the outside wall of Maine's hospital room. "It's my wedding gift for them, I want to give them my personal thanks... for... for everything".

She stopped beside the road that oversaw the beached waters. She couldn't find any other way, she needed to protect her heart no matter what, the lungs... didn't matter.

The breeze gently brushing her soft features, as the stars above watched her. A record of history, a record of love. Louise wanted them to be happy, she wanted to bring joy to everyone 'Maine, you said I had a knack of giving out joy. Well, this... this, will be my last greatest joy I can give, to you, and to everyone' she thought with a somber smile.

Decision, the moment of saying yes, is prompted by something deeper; recognition
That's what she put on her journal, the lines she wrote were all the things that her family and best friend taught her.

She was crying, alone in the cafeteria as the people mocked her. Louise didn't have any friends after advancing several grades higher and she prayed for one, just one... it was all she was ever asking for.

Wiping away the tears that ran down her cheeks, she slowly ate her lunch. After her father and sister died in a car crash just a couple of days ago, and her mom passing away after giving birth to her, she had no one but herself. The loneliness she felt was unbearable as another tear slid down her face.

"Bakit ka umiiyak?" A boy asked as he plopped down on a chair beside her.

Desperately trying to wipe the tears away, she defended "I'm not crying, okay?"

"Okay, then you're not crying" he retorted with a smile "I'm RJ by the way, want to be friends?"

"Uuuuh... Louise... " That was the beginning of their friendship The beginning of her saving grace.